From: "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" on
1. Sorry,I meant the battery by stating 10 hours are very good for
playback, particularly on a very old model (with aged batteries) like 520's
- not the capacity of the CF card.

2. did you try the screen saver from the PHM Pocket PC PowerToys bundle,
assigned to a hardware button? http://www.pdagold.com/software/detail.asp?
s=7 ? It does have an SH3 build.

Unfortunately, other screenoff utilities don't seem to have a SH3 build.
Some state CrazyLord's ScreenOff does have one (see
http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=733 ); however, the
archive only seems to have a MIPS one in addition to an ARM version.

mike <spamme0(a)go.com> wrote in

From: mike on
Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen wrote:
> 1. Sorry,I meant the battery by stating 10 hours are very good for
> playback, particularly on a very old model (with aged batteries) like 520's
> - not the capacity of the CF card.
>
> 2. did you try the screen saver from the PHM Pocket PC PowerToys bundle,
> assigned to a hardware button?

Doesn't seem to help.

I give up. I cannot seem to communicate that

I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING ATTACHED TO A BUTTON.

I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.
I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.
I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.
I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.
I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.
I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.
I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.
I already have means to turn off the screen by pushing a button.

I was hoping to find something that turned off the screen after
a delay, or defeated the function of the player that defeats
the automatic timed screen blanker already in the wince OS.
Guess it don't exist.
Thanks, mike

From: Todd Allcock on
TCPMP doesn't force the backlight to stay alive for audio, only video, so
there's no need for a "disable keepalive for audio" function.

I guess you'll have to decide whether or not to choose TCPMP's more akward
UI over the extra button push to turn off the backlight in WMP.

(Dumb question- what version of WMP is built-into the 520? Is it WMP7.1?
If it's older, you might try the 7.1 upgrade MS offered and see if it dims
the backlight like modern versions of WMP mobile do. It's available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=343426C5-A7AC-4A6B-A037-64F8C8DEF172&displaylang=en )

From: mike on
Todd Allcock wrote:
> TCPMP doesn't force the backlight to stay alive for audio, only video,
> so there's no need for a "disable keepalive for audio" function.
>
> I guess you'll have to decide whether or not to choose TCPMP's more
> akward UI over the extra button push to turn off the backlight in WMP.
>
> (Dumb question- what version of WMP is built-into the 520? Is it
> WMP7.1? If it's older, you might try the 7.1 upgrade MS offered and see
> if it dims the backlight like modern versions of WMP mobile do. It's
> available here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=343426C5-A7AC-4A6B-A037-64F8C8DEF172&displaylang=en
> )
>
> "mike" <spamme0(a)go.com> wrote in message
>
>> I've used tcpmp. yes, it dos let you turn off the backlight just like
>> media player does. It also lets you disable the backlight keepalive for
>> video...I'm looking at the menus on the ARM version. No mention of audio
>> playback. And it's a little more awkward to use in this application.

Thanks,
The version of wmp is 4.something.
I tried 7.1 on a Jornada 540. turns out the 540 already dims the backlight
with the original wmp....but I'd really like to turn it OFF.

Anyway, loaded it on the 520. No go. Uses more resources. The 520 just
doesn't have enough horsepower to play an mp3 with wmp7.1 without
stuttering. Interestingly, it did dim the backlight. But the amount
of dimming was almost imperceptible. I wouldn't have noticed it if I
hadn't been staring at it waiting for it to happen.

I've wasted enough of your time on this. It's easier just to collect
more 520's
and replace 'em when the backlight goes out.
Thanks, mike
From: r_z_aret on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:23:37 -0800, mike <spamme0(a)go.com> wrote:

>I have a few HP Jornada 520s Win CE 3.0 that use as mp3 players.
>When the media player is running, it defeats the backlight timeout.
>Yes, I can press a key to kill the backlight, but I have
>to wait a few seconds for the media player to get started before
>I can do that.
>Is there a way to have the backlight shut off by itself? It's just
>wearing out the tube if I let it run continuously.

I assume you actually have to turn off the backlight periodically
while the program is running, not just soon after it starts. If I'm
wrong, the rest of this note is probably wrong, too.

Applications that want to keep the backlight and/or screen active
generally don't disable the operating system settings; rather they
work around them. Such applications send periodic messages to convince
the operating system the device is still active, and then the
operating system doesn't dim or shut down the backlight and/or screen.
I think any application that does this should have a user setting;
easy to add, but also somewhat easy to omit. Unfortunately, you have
an application without such a setting, and finding a program or
setting to work around it's behavior would be difficult.

If you're a bit lucky, the program checks the settings for time to
wait before dimming, and uses those settings to determine how often to
send out the "keep alive" messages. Then you could set those times to
maximum to increase the time between when you need to press the
button.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400