From: mike on
I have a few HP Jornada 520s Win CE 3.0 that use as mp3 players.
When the media player is running, it defeats the backlight timeout.
Yes, I can press a key to kill the backlight, but I have
to wait a few seconds for the media player to get started before
I can do that.
Is there a way to have the backlight shut off by itself? It's just
wearing out the tube if I let it run continuously.
From: Beverly Howard on
It's been a long time since I looked at this, but a couple of thoughts...

It varies with different oem's, but a _fairly_ standard way to toggle
the backlight is to press/hold the power button... can be confusing as
you need to press/hold the power button again to turn on the backlight
as just pressing the power button again turns the power off.

The wmp button option is a slightly better way to turn off the screen as
it both turns off the backlight and the lcd display.

You could also set the backlight settings to a low value, but it will
turn on if the screen is touched.

Beverly Howard
From: mike on
Beverly Howard wrote:
> It's been a long time since I looked at this, but a couple of thoughts...
>
> It varies with different oem's, but a _fairly_ standard way to toggle
> the backlight is to press/hold the power button... can be confusing as
> you need to press/hold the power button again to turn on the backlight
> as just pressing the power button again turns the power off.
>
> The wmp button option is a slightly better way to turn off the screen as
> it both turns off the backlight and the lcd display.
>
> You could also set the backlight settings to a low value, but it will
> turn on if the screen is touched.
>
> Beverly Howard
Thanks, for the input.
This thing sits here about 18 hours a day every day playing mp3's.
I'm worried about wearing out the backlight.
I have set the backlight timeout to 1second if not used, but the
wmplayer is "used" and keeps the backlight on.
Yes, the wmplayer button will turn off the backlight, but it
takes several seconds after I turn it on to respond to a button press.
This thing can BARELY play an mp3, so it takes a while to get started.
Would be cool if there were a registry tweek or application that
would force the backlight off without intervention. There is such
a tool for the Palm, just haven't run across one for wince.
Compounding the problem is that this is a very old SH3 machine.

Oh well, only 10 seconds a day wasted time. Guess I can live with it.
;-)
mike
From: "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" on
Wow! 10 hours of playback from a 9-year-old Jornada 520? that's quite a
feat :)

You might want to give a try to TCPMP; it also has SH3 builds and,
therefore, it runs on your Jornada. It supports switching the screen off
completely.

See http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r=B52F0876-B91F-4BB5-
AC3F-C1AAAB1AC0D4 ; click the Download button next to
tcpmp.sh3.cabs.0.71.zip.

mike <spamme0(a)go.com> wrote in

From: mike on
Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen wrote:
> Wow! 10 hours of playback from a 9-year-old Jornada 520? that's quite a
> feat :)

Why is that a feat? At a megabyte a minute, a 4GB flash card will
play for 4000 minutes. As long as the power stays on, I'm good to go.
The codec is old, so there are some odd compression artifacts on some old
mp3 material. But you can pick 'em up for under a buck. Add a
high-performance
computer speaker system and you've got a very nice sounding background music
player for under $5.

> You might want to give a try to TCPMP; it also has SH3 builds and,
> therefore, it runs on your Jornada. It supports switching the screen off
> completely.
>
> See http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r=B52F0876-B91F-4BB5-
> AC3F-C1AAAB1AC0D4 ; click the Download button next to
> tcpmp.sh3.cabs.0.71.zip.

I've used tcpmp. yes, it dos let you turn off the backlight just like
media player does. It also lets you disable the backlight keepalive for
video...I'm looking at the menus on the ARM version. No mention of audio
playback. And it's a little more awkward to use in this application.

What If I changed the request?
Ignore audio players entirely.

I want a way to make the backlight turn itself off without intervention
no matter what programs are running.