From: jim on
We have a Customer Master form that has a related Building table subform. I
want to create a second sub-subform on the building subform for contacts.
The Work Order form is where these contacts will be used. The Work Order
form has a combo box to enter customer name(Customer Master table) and after
update a list box is filled with related buildings(Building table), then a
row is clicked on list box which fills unbound fields and a hidden bound
field, building number.

The problem is that users need to go to Customer Master form to update
contacts. Is there a way to design a pop-up form in data sheet or nomal form
on the Work Order form to update or add to related contacts? I will need to
have access to updated info immediately in order to create the work order on
Work Order form.
From: johnlute on
On Jan 27, 12:41 pm, jim <j...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> We have a Customer Master form that has a related Building table subform.  I
> want to create a second sub-subform on the building subform for contacts.
> The Work Order form is where these contacts will be used.  The Work Order
> form has a combo box to enter customer name(Customer Master table) and after
> update a list box is filled with related buildings(Building table), then a
> row is clicked on list box which fills unbound fields and a hidden bound
> field, building number.
>
> The problem is that users need to go to Customer Master form to update
> contacts.  Is there a way to design a pop-up form in data sheet or nomal form
> on the Work Order form to update or add to related contacts?  I will need to
> have access to updated info immediately in order to create the work order on
> Work Order form.

Hi, Jim.

I have similar scenarios and in only very necessary situations have
avoided this kind of complexity.

Your Customer Master form was designed to manage your customer data so
why not find an easy way to open this form rather than creating
another pop-up form that will essentially serve the same purpose?
From: Daryl S on
Jim -

How are the Contacts related to the other tables? I assume there is a
Contacts table, and that it would have a foreign key relationship to
Customers (since you say the user must go the Contacts to update this). If
you have a subform or a pop-up form on the Customers table to maintain the
Contacts, then you should be able to open the same form from the Work Order
subform, since you know what Customer you are on at that point. If you
don't have a separate Contacts table, you need to rethink your table design.
--
Daryl S