From: Pete Delgado on

"Vipin" <Vipin(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Now you are saying Microsoft c++ compiler has issues.

No. I said that the Microsoft compiler includes non-standard extensions and
is not completely standards complient.

> This is the warning I get for:-
> int main()
> {
> }
> main.cpp
> main.cpp(6) : warning C4508: 'main' : function should return a value;
> 'void' ret
> urn type assumed
> Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 6.00.8447
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1998. All rights reserved.

If you turn off the extensions in VS 2005 you will recieve the error that I
quoted. The fact that you are using a compiler that is at least 3 releases
old and released before the C++ standard was released means that many of the
standard complience issues still remain in the compiler that you are using.
What did you expect from an 8 year old compiler?

I'm not saying that VC++ 6 isn't a good tool, just that it is dated and that
I would not expect it to conform to the C++ standard.

> Now what is your logic, Is it language extenstions?

The particular implementation that you are using was good -at the time it
was released. But it is old. Still usable, but old. It was released even
before the ISO/EIC C++ standard if I recall correctly. If you take a look
at the C++ standard library you will notice that it includes many things
that are nonstandard and nonconforming. While it would be nice for the
compiler to flag your erroneous code, it apparently doesn't.

That is not a statement of logic, but a statement of fact.

> I just posed what this expression would evaluate to "Hello"[1].

No, that is distinctly different than what you posted earlier. The
expression that you posted earlier was
"Hello"[1] == ???

Which I have already parsed and explained. If you meant something else, you
should have written it or explained it. In any case, I have posted a
response for all to see, have you?

> But you are really strange, you are expecting me to type in a semicolon
> here.

No. I expect that if you wish me to waste my time solving your silly little
riddles that you at least post code that will compile or explain your little
"test" explicitly. If you plan to post code fragments, identify them as
such.

> Come on, I won't be able to write a single program without knowing about
> semicolons in c/c++,

Really? Using the included project wizard in Visual C++ 6.0 you can create
and compile a complete working program without knowing *anything* about C++
or semi-colons. All you need to know is how to use a mouse and a keyboard.
Certainly it is trivial, but it proves your statement incorrect -again...

> and I think you may be even thinking that is the case. Anyway I have no
> need to do any convincing.

You have already convinced me that you desperately need the following links
should your ego allow you to look.

http://home.att.net/%7Ejackklein/ctips01.html#int_main

Otherwise, enjoy yourself chasing elusive bugs!

-Pete

From: Vipin on
look, my intention of representing like this
was to intend what the right side of the equality operator would be.

"Hello"[1] == ???

I don't intend to continue this thread anyway.

--
Vipin Aravind
Microsoft MVP