From: Gabriele Neukam on

On this special day, GEO Me(a)home.her wrote:

> "were not state-
> sponsored or the work of an elite, sophisticated group such as the
> Chinese military."

So they were sponsored by a Chinese company? These are also keen on
obtaining any "knowledge" they can get their heads on (think of the
stolen electrolyte formula that made so many electric capacitators on
mainboards go boom), and the chinese understanding of "honest
behaviour" seems to differ from ours.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam(a)t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

From: GEO on
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:31:29 +0100, Gabriele Neukam
<Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam(a)t-online.de> wrote:

>On this special day, GEO Me(a)home.her wrote:
>
>> "were not state-
>> sponsored or the work of an elite, sophisticated group such as the
>> Chinese military."
>
>So they were sponsored by a Chinese company? These are also keen on
>obtaining any "knowledge" they can get their heads on (think of the
>stolen electrolyte formula that made so many electric capacitators on
>mainboards go boom), and the chinese understanding of "honest
>behaviour" seems to differ from ours.

The same used to be said about other nations. Industrial espionage is
nothing new, and not unique to Chinese companies. I seem to remember
something about two Canadian Airlines (1,2). Isn't there also
something about the Blackberry? Didn't Japanese products have a bad
reputation for quality a long time ago?

Geo

1-http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/westjet-accepts-blame-settles-with-air-canada-in-espionage-case/99049
2-http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0012657

PS: Any other good stories about industrial espionage?

From: GEO on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:04:54 +0000 (UTC), Toxic <staring(a)my_hd.tv>
wrote:

<snip>

>> I think that considering the close relations between corporations
>> (and some financial institutions) and goverments one could find links
>> between just about any corporation and a governement.
>
>Of course there's 'close relations' it's the law [CALEA 1994]

>> For another perspective:
>> <http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/23/schneier.google.hacking/
>index.html>
>> 'U.S. enables Chinese hacking of Google' By Bruce Schneier

>Maybe the Chinese are doing everyone a favor by exposing the blowback to
>the big brother agencies expanded powers?
>
>...and here we were worrying about some socially challenged kid coding a
>bit of malware to mungfark our computers, when all along it's the
>continued functionality of these spy boxes that's gonna be our undoing.

Worth repeating.

Geo

From: David Kaye on
Someone wrote:

>>...and here we were worrying about some socially challenged kid coding a
>>bit of malware to mungfark our computers, when all along it's the
>>continued functionality of these spy boxes that's gonna be our undoing.

Oh, the days of the pimply-faced 13 year old boy in the basement doing pranks
is long gone. Malware is big business and big espionage now.