From: Xah Lee on
Discovered a dead key. In emacs, i have the Menu key set as Hyper, and
i have “Hyper+Shift+q” as a shortcut to some command. However,
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard simply does not register
that combination when right shift is used. But left shift works. See
also: Keyboard Ghosting; How Many Keys Your Keyboard Can Take?.

• A Review of The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ms_keyboard/ms_natural_keyboard_4000.html

• Keyboard Ghosting; How Many Keys Your Keyboard Can Take?
http://xahlee.org/comp/keyboard_key_ghosting.html

Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: D Herring on
On 08/03/2010 03:01 PM, Xah Lee wrote:
> Discovered a dead key. ...
> Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard simply does not register
> that combination when right shift is used. But left shift works.

Happens all the time with these keyboards, and I suspect many others.
On linux/bsd, try running `xev`. There's all sorts of keys like
Shift_L, Shift_R, Alt_L, Alt_R, etc. They can be mapped to the same
action, but don't have to be.

- Daniel