From: Xah Lee on
2010-08-03

hi, i had this idea for a long time, and am very interested. I'd be
very interested to participate.

for the past ~5 years, i'm pissed often in my arguments about
operational efficiency of many of emacs's defaults. (shortcut choices,
command behavior choice...)

the ultimate showdown is to prove it in real time. I thought about
creating such a contest but that takes some serious effort. I wrote
quite a lot of it though, but scattered.

here's some articles i wrote about the issue. I link them below, some
with a short quote of relevant part. I hope it might be helpful in
creating this contest.

------------------------------
• The Modernization of Emacs (the most important changes i think emacs
should adopt)
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

quote:

.... Even for professional users, it is openly questionable that
emacs's ways of operation induced by its default user interface allows
more efficient operation than a user interface based on modern
software conventions. (this can be tested by having 2 team of
programmers roughly equally experienced or skilled in using emacs. One
team use Emacs with default UI setup, the other use a emacs with
modernized interface (such as Mac's Aquamacs), then compare their
efficiency in finishing a set of coding tasks.)

------------------------------

• A Typing Game in Emacs
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_game.html

(on some ideas of creating problems of such a realtime editing
contest)

------------------------------

here's some criticism on officiency of some emacs's command's
behaviors

• The Operative Efficiency of Emacs's Deleting Text to kill-ring
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_kill-ring.html

• Emacs Shortcut to Delete Whole Line
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_delete_whole_line.html

• Usability Problems With Emacs's Letter-Case Commands
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_upcase-word.html

• Suggestions on Emacs's mark-word Command
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_mark-word.html

• Suggestions on Emacs's Line-Cutting Commands
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_fill-paragraph.html

• Emacs Incremental Search Suggestions
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_isearch.html

• Text Editor's Cursor Movement Behavior (emacs, vi, Notepad++)
http://xahlee.org/emacs/text_editor_cursor_behavior.html

------------------------------

on efficiency of shortcut choices (e.g. which keys should map to what
commands)

• ErgoEmacs Keybinding
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

------------------------------

i looked at your site. I look forward to it. When is the problem going
to be announced?

also, i thought of a issue... the contest may subject to repeated
practice before actually creating the video. How might this be solved?

Thanks.

Xah

From: tommed on
Thanks @Xah

This is invaluable information! Glad you are willing to be a part of
the project!! :D

Should have a prototype of the system in the next few weeks (currently
busy on paying projects), so keep an eye on this post, or on my web
site, as details will follow!

You're right, there is a lot to do, but I think it will be a great
resource for proving the efficiency of these tools!
And who knows; the winner might even be someone using Windows
Notepad!!! That really would be a bomb-shell!!!! :O

Regarding practising... I encourage it!
Many Thanks,
tommed

Pages: 1