From: jimf on
I have recently had XP reinstalled on my PC after some problems. I can,
however, no longer access images from my digital camera and get the error
'F/DCIM is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an
I/O device error'. Sometimes the images partly download but generally the PC
freezes when I try and access the drive.
I have the same problem with my MP3 player where the drive is shown but
freezes when I try and open it. I have reinstalled the drivers but I feel it
could be an o/s problem. Service pack 2 has been installed with all relevant
updates. Can anyone advise please ?

--
Yours Truly Confused
Jim F.
From: Pat Walters [MSFT] on
"Jim F.",

I am sorry you are hitting this issue, but this does not really seem like a
Windows Update issue when, as you say, you reinstalled Windows XP recently.
I suggest, however, two things:

1. Start the Scanner and Camera Wizard, and walk through it step by step,
redetecting your camera and its memory card. With the camera attached to
the computer and powered properly:
a. Click Start
b. Click "All Programs"
c. Click Accessories
d. Click "Scanner and Camera Wizard"
e. Follow the wizard step by step to discover the pictures on the
system.
2. If this does not work, try the following newsgroup, as there are very
likely more experienced people to help (more quickly):

microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos

Sincerely,

Pat Walters [MSFT]

From: jimf on
Pat,

Thanks for the reply. The wizard doesn't detect my camera although removable
disk 'F' is showing under My Computer. I will try the other newsgroup as
advised.

Regards

Jim F