From: Richard on
I am running Office 2007 with Vista. I have recently tried to get Outlook
2007 working but when I use the wizard to set it up with POP3 etc and the
usual incoming server details (which are all correct) it won't accept my
password/login for my mail server. I know it is all correct but it just won't
go on to set up. Any ideas?
From: Duncan McC on
In article <A6D9D38F-2CC7-4B6B-82B4-D186D8761C3F(a)microsoft.com>,
Richard(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> I am running Office 2007 with Vista. I have recently tried to get Outlook
> 2007 working but when I use the wizard to set it up with POP3 etc and the
> usual incoming server details (which are all correct) it won't accept my
> password/login for my mail server. I know it is all correct but it just won't
> go on to set up. Any ideas?

Well it's most unlikey that Vista or Outlook is the problem. I'd
recheck your settings.

As an alternative test though, try telneting to your server and at least
try and logon.

Vista does not enable Telnet in most of it's versions, so you may need
to enable it...

http://www.tech-
recipes.com/rx/2050/vista_install_enable_telnet_client_server/

Once enabled, try running it from a command prompt.

In the command prompt windows, type:
telnet <your pop server, eg mail.me.com> 110

(you may need to check that the server is not using a non-default (110)
port - as some do do this).

If you can connect to your POP mail server, try then, logging on:
user <enter your username>
pass <enter your password>

To logoff your POP server, type in 'quit'. You may have to type quit
again, to exit telnet.

--
Duncan.