From: Cal Who on
I'm looking at someone elses code and they have the following in robots.txt.

But I don't see the file sitemap.axd anyplace.

What is going on here?

Disallow: /login.aspx
Disallow: /search.aspx
Disallow: /error404.aspx
Disallow: /archive.aspx

#Remove the '#' character below and replace example.com with your own
website address.
#sitemap: http://example.com/sitemap.axd

Thanks

From: Andrew Morton on
Cal Who wrote:
> I'm looking at someone elses code and they have the following in
> robots.txt.
> But I don't see the file sitemap.axd anyplace.
>
> What is going on here?

> Disallow: /login.aspx
> Disallow: /search.aspx
> Disallow: /error404.aspx
> Disallow: /archive.aspx
>
> #Remove the '#' character below and replace example.com with your own
> website address.
> #sitemap: http://example.com/sitemap.axd

The # character indicates that that line is only a comment. Everything after
it is ignored. I bet that the web site isn't at example.com, too ;-)

--
Andrew

From: Cal Who on

"Andrew Morton" <akm(a)in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Cal Who wrote:
>> I'm looking at someone elses code and they have the following in
>> robots.txt.
>> But I don't see the file sitemap.axd anyplace.
>>
>> What is going on here?

>> Disallow: /login.aspx
>> Disallow: /search.aspx
>> Disallow: /error404.aspx
>> Disallow: /archive.aspx
>>
>> #Remove the '#' character below and replace example.com with your own
>> website address.
>> #sitemap: http://example.com/sitemap.axd
>
> The # character indicates that that line is only a comment. Everything
> after it is ignored. I bet that the web site isn't at example.com, too ;-)
>
> --
> Andrew

I'm sorry, I should have said that I'm suppose to remove the # and insert my
address.
But what good will it do if the file is not present.

Thanks

From: Andrew Morton on
Cal Who wrote:
> I'm sorry, I should have said that I'm suppose to remove the # and
> insert my address.
> But what good will it do if the file is not present.

It will do no good. That line is entirely optional. It is only an example;
probably the someone else grabbed an example robots.txt and left those lines
in.

Google's info on sitemaps is at
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/topic.py?topic=8476

and Yahoo!'s is out there somewhere too.

--
Andrew

From: Cal Who on

> Cal Who wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I should have said that I'm suppose to remove the # and
>> insert my address.
>> But what good will it do if the file is not present.
>
> It will do no good. That line is entirely optional. It is only an example;
> probably the someone else grabbed an example robots.txt and left those
> lines in.
>
> Google's info on sitemaps is at
> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/topic.py?topic=8476
>
> and Yahoo!'s is out there somewhere too.
>
> --
> Andrew

I believe that it will do no good with out the file, but it is not that
simple. There was a video that showed how to install the software and he
made a point of changing that line to insert the correct domain and remove
the #.

Is an .axd file something I could generate or better, have vs generate?

Thanks