From: Bill Braun on
Mason C wrote:
> The 11 CSS errors seem go be caused by my putting " " around font names.
> If I don't, it tells me I should. And if I don't, the font is not effective.

Quote marks are for fonts with compound names. So no quotes
for Helvetica, and quotes for "Times Roman".

Bill B
From: Andy Dingley on
On 25 Jan, 14:07, Bill Braun <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Quote marks are for fonts with compound names. So no quotes
> for Helvetica, and quotes for "Times Roman".

No, quotes are for font names. The names of generic font families MUST
NOT be quoted:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#generic-font-families

If the font name contains whitespace, they MUST be quoted. Some other
characters are problematic and need escaping or quoting. Simple font
names without whitespace MAY be quoted though - it's optional.

"If an unquoted font family name contains parentheses, brackets,
and/or braces, they must still be escaped per CSS grammar rules.
Similarly, quotation marks (both single and double), semicolons,
exclamation marks, commas, and leading slashes within unquoted font
family names must be escaped. Font names containing any such
characters or white space should be quoted: "

So "Helvetica" and Helvetica are correct and equivalent. "Times Roman"
is correct, Times Roman incorrect. "Sans serif" or "sans-serif" though
doesn't mean what you expected: they mean a named font of that name
(or fallback) rather than the generic family name. If you want generic
sans, don't quote it.

font-family: "sans-serif", serif;

Will deliver a seriffed font on most systems, not a sans-serif font -
Unless you actually have "sans-serif" installed under that name. If
you're on a tiny mobile or phone platform, you might do.
From: Bill Braun on
Andy Dingley wrote:
> On 25 Jan, 14:07, Bill Braun <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Quote marks are for fonts with compound names. So no quotes
>> for Helvetica, and quotes for "Times Roman".
>
> No, quotes are for font names. The names of generic font families MUST
> NOT be quoted:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#generic-font-families
>
> If the font name contains whitespace, they MUST be quoted. Some other
> characters are problematic and need escaping or quoting. Simple font
> names without whitespace MAY be quoted though - it's optional.
>
> "If an unquoted font family name contains parentheses, brackets,
> and/or braces, they must still be escaped per CSS grammar rules.
> Similarly, quotation marks (both single and double), semicolons,
> exclamation marks, commas, and leading slashes within unquoted font
> family names must be escaped. Font names containing any such
> characters or white space should be quoted: "
>
> So "Helvetica" and Helvetica are correct and equivalent. "Times Roman"
> is correct, Times Roman incorrect. "Sans serif" or "sans-serif" though
> doesn't mean what you expected: they mean a named font of that name
> (or fallback) rather than the generic family name. If you want generic
> sans, don't quote it.
>
> font-family: "sans-serif", serif;
>
> Will deliver a seriffed font on most systems, not a sans-serif font -
> Unless you actually have "sans-serif" installed under that name. If
> you're on a tiny mobile or phone platform, you might do.

I stand corrected. This is what I meant to say, but did so
poorly. Thank you, Andy.

Bill B
From: Mason C on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:57:37 -0800, mscir <mscir(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Haha, I had to look that up, good reference...
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
>
>William Ockham (c. 1285�1349)
>
>Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor[1]), entia non sunt multiplicanda
>praeter necessitatem, is the principle that "entities must not be
>multiplied beyond necessity" and the conclusion thereof, that the
>simplest explanation or strategy tends to be the best one.

Yes. Newton's law of gravity is far simpler than Einstein's

sorry, couldn't resist
From: Mason C on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:48:52 -0500, Bill Braun <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Please give it some thought. I find your design off-putting
>(and to remake my point, that may be your intention). The
>site is a mess.

In what way is it a "mess" other than the text overflow you
observe?

>You have table cells with strong visual
>definitions and text that flows out of them into other
>cells. It is simply difficult to read text that falls across
>the borders of the cells.

As I told dorayme, I cannot duplicate the text overflow
problem except by using FireFox text zoom or setting my
Opera to an unnecessary 24pt minimum font. Neither should
be encountered by users -- they can use regular zoom if needed.

Please tell my the circumstances in which you find the
text overflow so I can observe it and do something about it.

What is your browser and settings?

>Here are some color resources that may be helpful.

Color is a matter of taste and the designers's goal.

Dorayme wouldn't like designer colors. I don't like the
New York Times gray-on-gray. You don't like bronze on black.

Me, I hope viewers hate my colors and quickly link off of it.

masonc

my spell checker doesn't like "color" and insists on "colour"