From: RICCARDO on
I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1).
The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail
formats.

A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message
B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message.

I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body
so I suppose to be RTF format.
I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings
for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients.

Can sendmail alter email format in this way ?

From: mikea on
RICCARDO <ric.castellani(a)alice.it> wrote in <792579cd-a52c-424c-9e57-3157b467873d(a)f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>:
> I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1).
> The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail
> formats.
>
> A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message
> B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message.
>
> I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body
> so I suppose to be RTF format.
> I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings
> for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients.
>
> Can sendmail alter email format in this way ?

Not to my knowledge. Can you run a packet trace (WireShark, tcpdump,
etc.) of both sessions (the one to A _and_ the one to B), and then
compare them? I suspect that B is somehow prompting Exchange to send
a winmail.dat, while A is not, or (and I think more probable) the mail
client is configured to send RTF to B, but not to A.

I've had similar problems with winmail.dat being sent to users here, and
in every case it has been the sender's mailclient configuration.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea(a)mikea.ath.cx