From: Anteaus on
The default setup does not handle this situation well, and I don't think
Windows 7 is any better in this respect. Having inaccessible mappings will
cause programs to hang for long periods when file..open dialogs are activated.

Using MyLogon (http://mylogon.net) instead of a batchfile will solve this
problem, provided the user logs-off properly when going away.

The issue of access of files when offsite can be handled in various ways,
one is the provision of VPN access or FTP. Or, a document manager can be
used, to allow documents to be 'checked out.'

The main issue with offline files or a briefcase is that neither can cope
with a situation where a document is taken away with a laptop but meanwhile
is also edited onsite.

"Kelvin" wrote:

> For whatever reason I've never nailed down a GOOD stratigy for dealing with
> laptops that are on and off the network...
>
> Part 1:
> The Offline Files utility in XP seems to have various issues that I can't
> find any resolution for.
> Mainly that laptops disconnect from the network for no apparent reason.
> I've tried "Never allow my computer to go offline" in Offline
> Files\Advanced Settings.
> I've also tried disabling the power saver mode on the NIC.
> Both of these have had mixed results.
>
> I have been blaming the symptoms on the systems being old, but I have a new
> Dell Latitude E6500 that is exhibiting the same symptoms.
> I have other Dell models and some HP models that act up about the same.
>
> Part 2:
> I'm also looking for input on how others deal with mapped drives for
> computers that are on and off the network.
> I use a bat file with Net Use commands in it to map drives.
> Should I be mapping these network drives as Persistant /No. Would this
> make a difference for when a laptop is off the network?
>
> I want to implement folder Redirection, but I run into the same questions
> about laptops with folder redirection...
> I needs laptop users My Documents at a minimum to go with them but
> synchronize at some point with the network so their data gets backed up...
>
> Should I be taking a totally different approach with synchronizing files
> between laptops and the network?
> I've looked at these options
> RoboCopy (I like that it doesn't have to be installed)
> SyncToy 2 (I'm not fond of this one as it has to be installed on the
> computer first)
> XCopy (Old reliable)
>
> Windows XP Pro on the computers.
> Windows 2003 Server