From: root on
Joe <joe(a)mailinator.com> wrote:

> The whole thing with the boot image being a floppy image is part of the El
> Torito bootable CD format. See the El Torito article on Wikipedia.
> Essentially, the El Torito CD boot spec allows to emulate a floppy. For that,
> the boot image has to be exactly the size of a floppy (1.44MB, or 2.88 max.)
> cdrecord can create the bootable cds with a floppy boot image.
>
> -Joe

El Torito, that's it. Thanks.
From: root on
Jasen Betts <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 2009-12-11, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
>
>> Now I want to go back and add something to that bootimage.
>> I don't remember anything about the processes that I used.
>> When I mount the bootable CD I see the following:
>> boot.catalog* bootimage cdrom/
>
> mtools
>
> cdfs may be useful too unless there's another way to extract an
> eltorito image.
>
> "eltorito" is probably the word you want to search for.

Thanks, I had forgotten the key words el torito.
From: root on
Follow up:
I remember now one of the "hoops" mkisofs makes
you jump through: "Uh Oh, I cant find ...".

The secret is that the boot image has to be
in the directory that you are going to burn
to cd. For example, if I am in a directory
that has cdrom as a sub-directory which I
want to burn to CD I use:
mkisofs -b boot.img -c boot.catalog -o/sda4/image.iso cdrom
but boot.img and boot.catalog are both in
the cdrom subdirectory.

Follow up question: the man mkisofs suggests that
it is possible to create a CD with several
alternate boot images. Before I try doing this,
how would the various images be selected at
boot time? Is there a little lilo thing there?

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2009-12-12, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
> Follow up:
> I remember now one of the "hoops" mkisofs makes
> you jump through: "Uh Oh, I cant find ...".
>

> The secret is that the boot image has to be
> in the directory that you are going to burn
> to cd. For example, if I am in a directory
> that has cdrom as a sub-directory which I
> want to burn to CD I use:
> mkisofs -b boot.img -c boot.catalog -o/sda4/image.iso cdrom
> but boot.img and boot.catalog are both in
> the cdrom subdirectory.
>
> Follow up question: the man mkisofs suggests that
> it is possible to create a CD with several
> alternate boot images. Before I try doing this,
> how would the various images be selected at
> boot time? Is there a little lilo thing there?

I presume the BIOS chooses one that's compatible with
architecture of the host hardware.

From: bb on
On 2009-12-11 17:50, root wrote:
> Nearly 20 years ago when I dumped DOS I made some
> bootable CDs that could boot into DOS 6.0, Newdos,
> and such. I remember that when I made the bootable
> CD from a bootable floppy I had to jump through some
> hoops which included copying (equivalent to dd) the
> floppy to a file bootimage on the CD. That bootimage
> had a number of EXE files that I thought would suffice
> for any future use.
>
> Now I want to go back and add something to that bootimage.
> I don't remember anything about the processes that I used.
> When I mount the bootable CD I see the following:
> boot.catalog* bootimage cdrom/
>
> The cdrom directory has lots of stuff that I want to
> access, but I don't see any way to get to it. I can
> mount bootimage as fat and I see:
> attrib.exe* command.com* drvspace.bin* fdisk.exe* format.com* io.sys* msdos.sys* sys.com* xcopy32.exe*
> autoexec.bat* config.sys* edit.exe* fileman.exe* himem.sys* mscdex.exe* sbide.sys* xcopy.exe* xcopy32.mod*
>
> I want to add a few more .exe files to the bootimage.
>
> What I am afraid of is that anyone old enough to understand
> this post will also have suffered the same memory loss
> as I have. Will anyone help?
> TIA.

Since there is a * after every name you look at files with perm 777 from linux
and can't run them at all unless you start dosemu.

The Microsoft license do not allow you to copy a single file from it, so you
should use the util dosbootdisk to create a freedos image instead.

/bb
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Malware found in Gnome screensaver
Next: Terminal issue