From: Anteaus on
Think it's also worth adding that on a computer of this age, a lot of
software has probably been installed and uninstalled. Many of the larger
packages do not uninstall completely, and leave behind various kinds of junk
which slow the system down. This is the main reason computers get
progressively slower. (I can vouch for this fact because I've had computers
performing specific tasks, with a pretty-much fixed config, for five or more
years without any noticeable performance loss.)

In your position I would seriously consider doing a full reinstall from a
clean (formatted) disk. Before starting, backup your data and download the
drivers you need from the Dell website.

Though, this will take a good few hours work, and this is where cost/results
considerations come into play. You have to balance time cost of reloading the
software from scratch against the price of a new computer, and ask whether
that might be a better route to take in the long run.

If you don't want to take this step then you can try various cleanup
procedures, but in my experience they will never give the same results as
clean install.

From: Leonard Grey on
"...packages do not uninstall completely, and leave behind various kinds
of junk which slow the system down. This is the main reason computers
get progressively slower."

Perhaps you could give some specific examples of "various kinds of junk"
and then explain in detail how they slow the system down.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Daave on
Perhaps he's referring to packages such as the Norton 360 Suite. The
normal uninstall routine does a very poor job of uninstalling
everything.