From: Ansgar Wiechers on
On 2010-05-26 Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> Shouldn'T you use at least ONE RBL?

Probably wouldn't hurt, but unless he's trying to fight off spam sent to
valid users (which according to his description doesn't seem to be the
case) he could go without as well.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

From: brian on
On 10-05-26 03:03 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * brian<postfix-list(a)logi.ca>:
>
> Which domain is the old one, which is the new one?

"One change I suggested was to utilise a .org domain rather than .com"

> Shouldn'T you use at least ONE RBL?
> E.g.:
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> permit_mynetworks,
> reject_unauth_destination
> reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org

I apologise for not mentioning RBL. What I'm looking for is some way to
drop these attempts at the earliest possible time. The server doesn't
have lots of RAM (not my decision) so I've found postfix going into
stress mode as it is.

Also, the logs are piling up very quickly.

From: brian on
On 10-05-26 03:21 PM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:

> The connections are being rejected, so unless your server resources are
> being exhausted by the delivery attempts I don't think you have to worry
> about it.

As mentioned in another msg, I neglected to mention that postfix is
already being put into stress mode. Sadly, the client didn't want to
spring for a VPS with more RAM. Of course, if this keeps up, I'll be
sure to mention it again.

From: Matt Hayes on
On 5/26/2010 3:29 PM, brian wrote:
> On 10-05-26 03:21 PM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
>>
>> The connections are being rejected, so unless your server resources are
>> being exhausted by the delivery attempts I don't think you have to worry
>> about it.
>
> As mentioned in another msg, I neglected to mention that postfix is
> already being put into stress mode. Sadly, the client didn't want to
> spring for a VPS with more RAM. Of course, if this keeps up, I'll be
> sure to mention it again.

I wonder if using something like postscreen from the 2.8-snapshots would
help to curtail some of the resource usage.

-Matt

From: Ansgar Wiechers on
On 2010-05-26 brian wrote:
> On 10-05-26 03:21 PM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
>> The connections are being rejected, so unless your server resources
>> are being exhausted by the delivery attempts I don't think you have
>> to worry about it.
>
> As mentioned in another msg, I neglected to mention that postfix is
> already being put into stress mode. Sadly, the client didn't want to
> spring for a VPS with more RAM. Of course, if this keeps up, I'll be
> sure to mention it again.

In that case I'd say iptables/fail2ban is the way to go (until you get
to upgrade the hardware).

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky