From: Alejandro Cabrera Obed on
Dear all, I live in Argentina and now we can use the Ñ letter in our
domain names. I have a mail system conformed with Debian Lenny /
Postfix 2.5.5-1.1.

My question is this:

Does Postfix 2.5.5-1.1 support IDN domain names in case I create a
@ñoño.com.ar domain ??? Or is it a problem inherent only to mail
clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. ???

Special thanks

Alejandro

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 03:11:41PM -0300, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:

> Dear all, I live in Argentina and now we can use the ?? letter in our
> domain names. I have a mail system conformed with Debian Lenny /
> Postfix 2.5.5-1.1.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Does Postfix 2.5.5-1.1 support IDN domain names in case I create a
> @??o??o.com.ar domain ??? Or is it a problem inherent only to mail
> clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. ???

Displaying IDN domain names is a client-only issue. Postfix works
with ASCII on-the-wire "xn-<punycode>" names.

Even in bounce messages, where Postfix could arguably process IDN names,
it is far from clear that making bounces only readable by people who can
read Chinese, Arabic, Russian, ... is a good idea. It is best to rely
on MUAs display the structured bounce in the most appropriate way.

--
Viktor.

From: Alejandro Cabrera Obed on
Thanks Viktor, sorry but I don't understand this: you say Postfix
works with ASCII on-the-wire, so if in my Postfix I create a virtual
domain called "ñandu.gov.ar" you tell me that Postfix will
automatically encoded it to Punycode and resulting the domain:

xn--andu-fqa.gov.ar ????

So I can create IDN domain names in my Postfix, and now my unique
objective is ensure that mail clients (MUA's) work with IDN names and
anymore ???

Thanks again !!!!

Alejandro

--
Alejandro Cabrera Obed
aco1967(a)gmail.com

From: Wietse Venema on
Alejandro Cabrera Obed:
> Dear all, I live in Argentina and now we can use the ? letter in our
> domain names. I have a mail system conformed with Debian Lenny /
> Postfix 2.5.5-1.1.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Does Postfix 2.5.5-1.1 support IDN domain names in case I create a
> @?o?o.com.ar domain ??? Or is it a problem inherent only to mail
> clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. ???

Mail clients must translate non-ASCII domain names into punycode
(xn-mumble) format before issuing SMTP commands (MAIL FROM, RCPT TO).

Wietse

From: Alejandro Cabrera Obed on
Wietse, thanks...but in Postfix I have to work with the ñoño.com.ar
domain name or with the xn--oo-yjab.gov.ar punycode domain name ???

For example, in my mail server I define my virtual domains in
/etc/postfix/vmaildomains. How di I have to define it:

ñoño.com.ar required

or

xn--oo-yjab.gov.ar required

?????

The same for the Maildir paths, do they have to be under:

/var/vmail/ñoño.com.ar/user/Maildir

or

/var/vmail/xn--oo-yjab.gov.ar/user/Maildir

????

Thanks a lot

Alejandro