From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:36:19PM -0400, Pat wrote:

> ICANN did not really consider the security and portability of IDNs
> before permitting them. The reasons for this are many, and speak
> poorly to ICANN's management structure. It is important to remember
> that ICANN's action does not mean that end-users are prepared to accept
> mail from such domains, or that doing so would be secure, much less
> that operating systems, libraries, and applications are
> capable of dealing with IDNs safely.

However true any of the above may be, it is not Postfix related.

> Whether IDNs will ever be portable is a matter of debate. Right now
> they are in early-alpha status i.e., not ready for production. This
> might be OK for some DNS and SMTP implementations but for most production
> systems they pose too high of a risk.

The only place that IDNs are in any way interesting is in user-agents,
since that's where xn--foo-bar gets turned into something that a user
who can read the relevant glyphs can understand. Infrastructure (as
opposed to user-facing client software) is IDN agnostic, because IDN
domain names are just like any other ASCII domain name.

> Speaking only for myself, for the foreseeable future we are not interested in
> experimental code and do not want to use a version of bind or postfix
> that cannot be compiled to refuse IDNs.

There is no code in Postfix to support IDN, and nothing to re-compile.
IDN domains are just like non-IDN domains, and work out of the box.
If you absolutely want to reject IDN dns labels, just adjust your
access tables:

sender_access.pcre:
/@(\S+\.)*?xn--/ REJECT No room for IDN domains on my soapbox

--