From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Terryc <newsfourspam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote:
> arp -s <ip-number> mac-address and various linx boxen were happily
> piniging it. No luck with web interface, as it has a password set and
> search engines don't return any concept of a default pass words for it.
>
> Investigate front panel and find I can set ip, netmask and gateway
> there, so problem is solved.

> Tried a second config on /dev/lp0 and after nothing thru the printtol
> config, tried direct feeding various file thru /dev/lp0 and again zip
> zilch nothing, Not a squark from printer.

/dev/lp0 is your parrallell port, but is the printer really connected
there? I thought you had the printer on the network?

If the printer is on the network and it is capable of PostScript probably
also has a builtin lpd server.

> This is a postscript printer dammit, it shoud just work under linux
> lprng.

Did you try a printcap entry looking something like this:

lp|ps|infoprint:\
:lp=:rm=infoprint:sd=/var/spool/lpd:rp=lp:

Where infoprint is a hostname in /etc/hosts pointing to the ip-address of
your printer.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Terryc on
Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> /dev/lp0 is your parrallell port, but is the printer really connected
> there? I thought you had the printer on the network?

Trying both

> If the printer is on the network and it is capable of PostScript probably
> also has a builtin lpd server.

that is what I was expecting. Seems one gotcha might be that instead of
using port 9100, ibm uses port 6874. Still working out where I can
change this atm.

>> This is a postscript printer dammit, it shoud just work under linux
>> lprng.
>
> Did you try a printcap entry looking something like this:
>
> lp|ps|infoprint:\
> :lp=:rm=infoprint:sd=/var/spool/lpd:rp=lp:
>
> Where infoprint is a hostname in /etc/hosts pointing to the ip-address of
> your printer.

excerpt from /etc/printcap is below

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 1200x1200 a4 {} IBMPagePrinter3112_PS
Default 1
proprt20:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/proprt20:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:\
:rm=192.168.x.y:\
:rp=lp:\
:lpd_bounce=true:\
:if=/usr/lib/printfilters/master-filter:\
:PAPERSIZE=a4:\
:DESIRED_TO=ps:\
:PRINTER_TYPE=REMOTE:\
:ASCII_TO_PS=YES:\
:GSDEVICE=POSTSCRIPT:\
:RESOLUTION=1200x1200:\
:PS_SEND_EOF=YES:\
:NUP=1:\
:RTLFTMAR=18:\
:TOPBOTMAR=18:\
:CRLFTRANS=1:\
:TEXT_SEND_EOF=NO:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 1200x1200 a4 {} IBMPagePrinter3112_PS
Default {}
infoprt20:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:\
:lp=/dev/lp0:\
:if=/usr/lib/printfilters/master-filter:\
:PAPERSIZE=a4:\
:DESIRED_TO=ps:\
:PRINTER_TYPE=LOCAL:\
:ASCII_TO_PS=YES:\
:GSDEVICE=POSTSCRIPT:\
:RESOLUTION=1200x1200:\
:PS_SEND_EOF=YES:\
:NUP=1:\
:RTLFTMAR=18:\
:TOPBOTMAR=18:\
:TEXT_SEND_EOF=NO:

Of course another gotcha is that I now have to say to this stupid Debian
distro that yes I do have a /dev/lp0 and to create it each time it
reboot .<linux is now as bad as MS OS's>
From: Terryc on
Terryc wrote:

> ##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 1200x1200 a4 {} IBMPagePrinter3112_PS
> Default 1
> proprt20:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/proprt20:\
> :mx#0:\
> :sh:\
> :rm=192.168.x.y:\
> :rp=lp:\

Found the problem, the above line should read
:rp=PASS:\

And it works.

Pages: 1
Prev: netbook car power