From: Jay Stevens on
My IBM T42 laptop screen hinges (don't know the correct term) are becoming
loose.
What I mean is that the screen is loose while opening and closing the laptop
and it has to be in a certain spot so the screen won't accidentally close.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Jay

From: lars on
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:33:23 GMT, Jay Stevens wrote:

>My IBM T42 laptop screen hinges are becoming loose.
>screen is loose while opening and closing the laptop
>and it has to be in a certain spot so the screen won't accidentally close.
>
>Is there anything I can do?

Sure. You can tighten the nuts that are there for
that particular purpose.
I general terms what you need to do is to remove
the keyboard to get to those nuts.

That in turn means removing Hard Drive, DVD and some
screws from the bottom side of the TP.
Here is the hardware maintenance manual, where
you can read about it, and see drawings etc.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46464

It is not that difficult at all, but you need some basic
tools, good lighting and at least an hour of peace
and quiet. I usually find that I also want to do a bit
of dusting (dust buster), when I have the machine open.

Lars
Stockholm