From: eric on
I'm working with a friend's laptop, an old Toshiba satellite 230CX. It
is turning into the laptop from hell. :))

It is a Pentium 133 with 16 of EDO memory and a 1.35gb hd. The person
who uses it is really poor and doesn't really need to do too much with
it. Someone had installed win98 and on it and it ran like molasses
with that memory. So I suggested reformatting and loading win95b on it
and that I would undertake the project.

First of all, the floppy disc drive does not work, the original one
which came with the laptop. It is recognized but when you place a
floppy in it within Windows, it says it cannot read. I have a dell
floppy drive with com port cable which I hooked up and it performed
exactly the same. It will not boot from the floppy drive either when
I place a bootable floppy in it. So it appears that floppy use is out.

It does have a cd drive though. Using a bootable cd I gained access to
the drdos tools and f-disked and formatted the hard drive. I then
loaded win95 onto the recently formatted drive and typed setup.exe at
the prompt.

The message I receive has been: "Windows Setup requires 'largest
executable program size' to be at least 429856 bytes to run". I
worked on this for hours, reformatting etc, but to no avail. I googled
up support.microsoft.com/kb/q289727/

and read the four suggestions:

o The amount of space on the hard disk has been reported
incorrectly.

Could be, I imagine, but in that case how can I get it to report size
correctly?

o You installed drive overlay software, but you did not follow
the correct installation sequence. For example,
you may have to press the SHIFT key or use a similar keystroke
combination to start your computer when you use a disk.

Nope.

o The computer has a virus.

Did a check with F-prot in Dos. No problems there. Every time I need
to do something, I have to burn a cd (and the cd drive does not
recognize RW discs.

o The computer has failing or faulty hardware.

Could be, I imagine.

The article begins with "The number that is reported may be 4,442,368
or 442,368 bytes".

Slightly different from mine.

Anyway, I am thinking this is a memory problem, but for the life of me
I can't imagine where to go from here. Can someone give me a lead,
please. Pretty please.

thanks, eric

From: John Doue on
eric(a)egypt.net wrote:

> I'm working with a friend's laptop, an old Toshiba satellite 230CX. It
> is turning into the laptop from hell. :))
>
> It is a Pentium 133 with 16 of EDO memory and a 1.35gb hd. The person
> who uses it is really poor and doesn't really need to do too much with
> it. Someone had installed win98 and on it and it ran like molasses
> with that memory. So I suggested reformatting and loading win95b on it
> and that I would undertake the project.
>
> First of all, the floppy disc drive does not work, the original one
> which came with the laptop. It is recognized but when you place a
> floppy in it within Windows, it says it cannot read. I have a dell
> floppy drive with com port cable which I hooked up and it performed
> exactly the same. It will not boot from the floppy drive either when
> I place a bootable floppy in it. So it appears that floppy use is out.
>
> It does have a cd drive though. Using a bootable cd I gained access to
> the drdos tools and f-disked and formatted the hard drive. I then
> loaded win95 onto the recently formatted drive and typed setup.exe at
> the prompt.
>
> The message I receive has been: "Windows Setup requires 'largest
> executable program size' to be at least 429856 bytes to run". I
> worked on this for hours, reformatting etc, but to no avail. I googled
> up support.microsoft.com/kb/q289727/
>
> and read the four suggestions:
>
> o The amount of space on the hard disk has been reported
> incorrectly.
>
> Could be, I imagine, but in that case how can I get it to report size
> correctly?
>
> o You installed drive overlay software, but you did not follow
> the correct installation sequence. For example,
> you may have to press the SHIFT key or use a similar keystroke
> combination to start your computer when you use a disk.
>
> Nope.
>
> o The computer has a virus.
>
> Did a check with F-prot in Dos. No problems there. Every time I need
> to do something, I have to burn a cd (and the cd drive does not
> recognize RW discs.
>

> o The computer has failing or faulty hardware.
>
> Could be, I imagine.
>
> The article begins with "The number that is reported may be 4,442,368
> or 442,368 bytes".
>
> Slightly different from mine.
>
> Anyway, I am thinking this is a memory problem, but for the life of me
> I can't imagine where to go from here. Can someone give me a lead,
> please. Pretty please.
>
> thanks, eric

To check the size of the HD, try to run Hitachi Feature Tool ">
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Any way, if the RAM really is only 16, I would not even bother trying to
use Win95, or worse 98. Try 3.11.

--
John Doue
From: eric on
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:12:07 GMT, John Doue <notwobe(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

would i need a floppy drive to run this tool?

thanks, eric