From: JAK71454 on
I am having the same problem but I have tried to restore back to
several restore points and I get an error saying that it was not
restored. What else can I do? Jim

From: Dave Horne on

<JAK71454(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem but I have tried to restore back to
> several restore points and I get an error saying that it was not
> restored. What else can I do? Jim

Try this ... I'm certainly not an expert, but if this works, let me know -
reboot your computer but first unplug your speakers and anything in your
headphone output. Reboot again and plug everything back in. It's possible
Windows might 'see' the items on the second attempt.

I'm back to normal but I may try this myself (after first creating a new
Restore point).

From: Craymo on
JAK....

I'd suggest you reboot and try again after 10 minutes or so.

I had a similar issue after the update came through last night. First I
tried to roll back the driver in the Control Panel, then rebooting but that
didn't work. Then I attempted system restore to the point just prior to
installing the update. All seemed well, but then it said that the restore
was not successful. I rebooted again, then I allowed Windows Defender to do
it's thing (apparently it runs automatically every time my system starts).

Once I was sure there was nothing running in the background, (anti-virus,
etc) I attempted system restore again. I didn't touch it until I knew for
sure that it was finished. That did the trick! I am back to where I was
prior to the update and my sound is working just fine.

Also, while I realize this forum is not to debate the point of whether to
download from Microsoft or manufacturer's websites, I DO want to make a
general observation in this regard. I went to the manufacturer's site for
this particular update. They recommend that you do your updates from
Microsoft before attempting to get the update there. In my opinion, the most
prudent thing to do would be to update via Microsoft. If there are issues,
and they can't be resolved through Microsoft, THEN go directly to the
manufacturer.

I agree that Microsoft written devices and updates are probably most likely
to be preferable. In fact, since I began using computers back in the 'old
days', the biggest issues I have ever had with drivers was when I installed
outside of the Microsoft Update platform. Oh, and many people do not have
the knowledge or skills to choose the correct drivers from often complicated
manufacturer's websites.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Craymo

From: Bjorn on
Hello.

Just read your last response. I have the same problem, no sound after the
update. No help in "backup and restore". Couldn't be done. And no help in
what you just suggested to "Jim".

I hope to avoid a total reboot. Any new suggestions up your sleeve?

Hopeful
Bjorn

From: qiyihe on
On 5ÔÂ2ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç4ʱ36·Ö, Thomas Beagle <Thomas
Bea...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Same problem on a Dell Inspiron 640m running Vista Home Premium SP1 with
> SigmaTel Audio.
>
> I went through some of the same steps as listed here. My eventual solution
> was:
>
> 1. Use Device Manager to uninstall the IDT High Def CODEC
> 2. Restart
> 3. Download and install latest Sigmatel drivers for my laptop from Dell
> 4. Restart
>
> Fixed it nicely.

I followed your steps and it fixed my problem nicely too. Thank you
very much!