From: SC Tom on

"daviddschool" <daviddschool(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
>>
>> > Most likely causes:
>> > You are not connected to the Internet.
>> > The website is encountering problems.
>> > There might be a typing error in the address.
>>
>> Check in Control Panel | Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings
>> and make sure it's not set up to use a Proxy. Some programs, such as
>> virus scanners, or even malware, can redirect your internet traffic
>> through other (internal or external) servers.
>>
>> Unless you have some specific reason for it, "Automatically detect
>> settings" and "Use a proxy server for your LAN" should be UNchecked.
>
> The LAN settings was the problem. Thanks for that.
> I wonder why it changed? It was working fine before - is that
> something malware or a virus might do?

To reiterate what Jose said in his post, a few minutes right now of checking
for malware could save you years of aggravation down the road. Even if
nothing is found, at least your mind is eased somewhat knowing your system
is clean.
--
SC Tom

From: Nil on
On 20 Feb 2010, daviddschool <daviddschool(a)gmail.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> The LAN settings was the problem. Thanks for that.
> I wonder why it changed? It was working fine before - is that
> something malware or a virus might do?

Yes! That's one method the recent spate of bogus "your computer is
infected, download my virus scanner now!" malware uses to prevent you
from going to legit antivirus sites - it routes your browser traffic
through itself. You should do a thorough virus/trojan/malware scan
ASAP. You may be surprised what you find.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
daviddschool wrote:
>> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
>>
>>> Most likely causes:
>>> You are not connected to the Internet.
>>> The website is encountering problems.
>>> There might be a typing error in the address.
>>
>> Check in Control Panel | Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings
>> and make sure it's not set up to use a Proxy. Some programs, such as
>> virus scanners, or even malware, can redirect your internet traffic
>> through other (internal or external) servers.
>>
>> Unless you have some specific reason for it, "Automatically detect
>> settings" and "Use a proxy server for your LAN" should be UNchecked.
>
> The LAN settings was the problem. Thanks for that.
> I wonder why it changed? It was working fine before - is that
> something malware or a virus might do?

Yes, and if you've been dealing with a hijackware infection, you probably
have much more work to do since you've not been able to installed SP3 (which
should have been installed almost 2 years ago); cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/77518cf95b1a486c
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)