From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[Please don't post your replies inline with the quoted section of my
replies. THX]

Please answer my questions by number in your reply:

1. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is
checked/enabled. Now scroll down and tell me if "Security Update for
Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB980182)" is listed. If it is, what's the
Installation date?

2. Has your NOD32 subscription ever expired (if only for a few hours or
days)?

3. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

4. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Jeff Barnett wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Is this a sudden, new problem?
> Yes, this is a new problem; only noticed this morning.
>>
>> Is IE6, IE7, or IE8 installed on the computer-in-question?
> Of course. The IE version is 7.0.5730.11
>>
>> Is the computer-in-question currently fully-patched at Windows Update?
> All of the "important" patches are there. Our computers are updated once
> or twice a month using built-in MS update.
>>
>> Assuming KB980182 installed, did the problem start immediately after
>> it was installed?
> I looked for that KB number in C:\\windows\ and did not see it.
>>
>> Does the behavior persist when the computer-in-question is connected
>> directly to the modem?
> Can't easily try that experiment. But note that everything except IE is
> okay. There are no special per-computer settings in the D-Link router.

> I am not using Defender. The suite is NOD32 by ESET (all updated
> definitions on the machine) with Windows Firewall turned on.

>> bought it)?
> I built this computer a few years ago. If I remember correctly, NOD32
> has been the only one on it. This is surely true for several years. I
> understand that changing security packages is one good reason to
> consider a rebuild.
>
> Given these answers to you questions, do you have and hypotheses about
> what might be happening.
<SNIP>

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Jeff Barnett wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks, you wired it in one! I have no idea how the proxy box got set...

That's usually the doings of a hijackware infection, Jeff.
From: Jeff Barnett on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Jeff Barnett wrote:
> <snip>
>> Thanks, you wired it in one! I have no idea how the proxy box got set...
>
> That's usually the doings of a hijackware infection, Jeff.

And thank you for the help.
From: Duane Hebert on
> Given these answers to you questions, do you have and hypotheses about
> what might be happening.

I think that those answers are standard form replies to the "I'm having problems
with IE8" question and could probably just be an FAQ referred to here.

If you google for your problem you'll see that it's not unique.

FWIW, I have two PCs that had this problem. One running Vista and one running
XP with SP3. Went through all of these suggestions and nothing helped. So I instlaled
Firefox which worked on both without these problems.

I was using AVG on both. My IT department switched to NOD antivirus at the office, and
since then I have very rarely had IE8 hang on that machine. It's possible that it has something
to do with AVG. They've advised me, on my other PC to remove the AVG toolbar which seems
to have helped for a few days but the problem is back.
So at home I use Firefox.

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"Duane Hebert" <spoo(a)flarn.com> wrote in message

> I was using AVG on both. My IT department switched to NOD antivirus at
> the office, and
> since then I have very rarely had IE8 hang on that machine. It's possible
> that it has something
> to do with AVG. They've advised me, on my other PC to remove the AVG
> toolbar which seems
> to have helped for a few days but the problem is back.
> So at home I use Firefox.

The usual AVG factor is its HTTP proxy and getting rid of that may involve
uninstalling and reconfiguring the product.

---