From: Duane Hebert on

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald(a)techemail.com> wrote in message news:Ofzmt3t8KHA.4648(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> The usual AVG factor is its HTTP proxy and getting rid of that may involve
> uninstalling and reconfiguring the product.

Thanks. Any idea why this is a problem for IE8 and not any other browser?
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Duane Hebert wrote:
>> The usual AVG factor is its HTTP proxy and getting rid of that may
>> involve
>> uninstalling and reconfiguring the product.
>
> Thanks. Any idea why this is a problem for IE8 and not any other browser?

For all intents and purposes, AVG Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active
Surf-Shield, and/or Security toolbar are redundant in (if not incompatible
with) IE8.

From: Duane Hebert on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:eidsmY48KHA.5900(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Duane Hebert wrote:
>>> The usual AVG factor is its HTTP proxy and getting rid of that may
>>> involve
>>> uninstalling and reconfiguring the product.
>>
>> Thanks. Any idea why this is a problem for IE8 and not any other browser?
>
> For all intents and purposes, AVG Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active
> Surf-Shield, and/or Security toolbar are redundant in (if not incompatible
> with) IE8.

Redundant would be fine. Incompatible, not so much.

I've removed the AVG Security Toolbar and Search-Shield but that didn't really help.
I will try the others to see if I can isolate this. Thanks.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Duane Hebert wrote:

>>> Thanks. Any idea why this is a problem for IE8 and not any other
>>> browser?
>>
>> For all intents and purposes, AVG Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active
>> Surf-Shield, and/or Security toolbar are redundant in (if not
>> incompatible
>> with) IE8.
>
> Redundant would be fine. Incompatible, not so much.
>
> I've removed the AVG Security Toolbar and Search-Shield but that didn't
> really help. I will try the others to see if I can isolate this. Thanks.

Answering all of the questions in my second reply to your thread might help:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/msg/1bdd9393dbc98f66

From: Duane Hebert on

> Answering all of the questions in my second reply to your thread might
> help:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/msg/1bdd9393dbc98f66

This was not my thread originally but I can answer your questions:

I'm running XP Pro SP3.

1. I don't have KB980182 Security Update For Windows IE 7 listed in
add/remove programs. I have several for IE8 though.
2. I am not using NOD32 on the PC that is causing my problem. I'm using
AVG8. As a side note, I have disabled AVG8 HTTP proxy based on another
suggestion in this thread and it doesn't seem to have helped.
3. Running in No add-ons mode does not seem to help.
4. Reset IE advanced settings does not seem to help.

I have uninstalled IE8 and run IE7 for a few days with no issues.
Reinstalling IE8 caused the same problems to
return after a couple of days. I have no issues with Firefox.

Just as a reminder, when opening IE8, I get a message "connecting" and this
stays there and never succeeds.
Sometime closing and opening IE8 fixes it. Sometime it takes several tries.
While this is happening,
Firefox is fine so I don't think it's a dns issue or anything like that.

Thanks.