From: FDwight on
IBM laptop, Win 98 se, cable connection to internet. Problem: All files from
financial, banking credit card sites are not received. I have another
computer on the network running W2000 and pages display ok and all files are
recieved. Performed MS trouble shooting article recommendations-problem
still exists. Saved problem web page to the W2000 machine. Transfered that
page to W98 machine-paged worked fine. This indicated to me that the W98
machine is function ok, since is can execute the web page if transferred from
the other computer. Went to temporary internet files on W2000 machine and
counted 67 files for a particular web page. Downloaded same page on W98
machine directly from the internet-only 19 files in the temporary internet
files folder.

I have plugged the W98 machine directly into the modem (bypassing the router
and firewall) -same problem.

Usually the first troublesome webpage displays correctly. It is when a
different financial, credit card, etc. page is called up, that page does not
have all the files. If I continue to download additional financial,
webpages, I eventually get "this page cannot be opened or found" error. If I
go to a non financial page like 'Disney' , it opens fine. If I then go back
to a financial page, the first one opens fine, but subquent financial sites
will not load properly.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the files that make up a web page are not
being received on the W98 machine?
TIA
Fred
From: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE on
First make sure it's not a JavaScript problem.

1. You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

Sometimes there's a corrupt file in the cache and one must go to Tools |
Internet Options and click Delete Files.

2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll

(WinXP users who have problems with 2a and 2b, see
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm)

3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

4. See also
Error Message When You Browse the Web: An Error Has Occurred in the Script
on This Page
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306831
Scripting Errors When You View Web Pages in Internet Explorer after
Installing Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822521

5a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
extensions (uncheck & reboot).

5b. Find the hijacker that caused 5a to be checked (or if none were checked,
check for hijackware anyway):

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

How to Troubleshoot Script Errors in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

From: Fred on
Thank you , Frank for your response. I have tried all of the below and the
only error I received is with Shell32.dll. It was an entry point error. I
use some of the icons on the desktop and in IE from Shell32.dll so I imagine
this is the reason for the memory error.
The real problem is that the necessary files that make up the web page
are not being received. If I copy all the necessary files for the problem
web page from my W2000 machine to the W98 machine, IE opens them correctly.
This suggests to me that something is going on in the transmission of these
files.
What program handles the sending and arrival of packets? It seems to me
that when the coding on the packets arrive telling how many are to come, the
program mistakenly sends a signal back that all packets or files have
arrived, when some have not.
Since this problem only occurs on financial site where I have an
account, I beginning to think that it is a security issue with the host -
they may read the IP address of my W2000 computer and try to block the file
transmission of the IP address of the W98 computer as an unauthorized user.
The other possibility is that my Ethernet card is going bad and I am not
getting a good connection. Seems strange that the problem only occurs on
specific sites, though.

I can probably live with the problem. If I refresh enough times or restart
IE I can usually get the problem sites to load properly.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
TIA
Fred

From: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE on
What is the exact error message?
Clear your temporary Internet files and cookies.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

From: Fred on
I don't know the exact error message but it could not find the entry point
due to some of the icons in memory. Try using PVIEW, it said. But this is
only when I tried to re-register Shell32.dll
IE never gives me an error message.
I have further determined that the problem web sites pages are not the main
web site page, but the log in page. The main web site page loads ok.
Best,
> What is the exact error message?
> Clear your temporary Internet files and cookies.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "Fred" <fdwight58(a)Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you , Frank for your response. I have tried all of the below and
> > the
> > only error I received is with Shell32.dll. It was an entry point
error.
> > use some of the icons on the desktop and in IE from Shell32.dll so I
> > imagine
> > this is the reason for the memory error.
> > The real problem is that the necessary files that make up the web
page
> > are not being received. If I copy all the necessary files for the
problem
> > web page from my W2000 machine to the W98 machine, IE opens them
> > correctly.
> > This suggests to me that something is going on in the transmission of
> > these
> > files.
> > What program handles the sending and arrival of packets? It seems to
> > me
> > that when the coding on the packets arrive telling how many are to come,
> > the
> > program mistakenly sends a signal back that all packets or files have
> > arrived, when some have not.
> > Since this problem only occurs on financial site where I have an
> > account, I beginning to think that it is a security issue with the
host -
> > they may read the IP address of my W2000 computer and try to block the
> > file
> > transmission of the IP address of the W98 computer as an unauthorized
> > user.
> > The other possibility is that my Ethernet card is going bad and I am
> > not
> > getting a good connection. Seems strange that the problem only occurs
on
> > specific sites, though.
> >
> > I can probably live with the problem. If I refresh enough times or
> > restart
> > IE I can usually get the problem sites to load properly.
> >
> > I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
> > TIA
> > Fred
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2