From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Is McAfee Security Centre a "freebie" from your ISP or have you purchased it
and your subscription's still current?

The above notwithstanding, see if running this McAfee three-step fix (and
then installing IE8 manually per my recommendations) resolves the problem:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> Disable all McAfee Security Centre processes (i.e., anti-virus;
anti-spyware; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
installing IE8.

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB976325). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

KeithIrv wrote:
> Robear,
>
> Apologies for being slow replying!
>
> 1. Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036: service Pack3,v.5 ..
> and then its off the side of the info box and I cannot see the rest)
>
> 2. 7.0.6000.16981 at the top f the tab and 7.00.6000.16981
> (vista_gdr.091215-2244) in the File Version Value box.
>
> 3. Macafee Security Centre. Which is fully updated and current. I have
> tried to install IE8 with all AV software and firewalls switched off as
> well
> as all switched on. The result is the same as described.
>
> 4. The only AV software has been the Macafee Security Centre as above.
> Its
> a self build machine and I am certain that no free trials AV software (or
> spyware) has been installed.
>
> Grateful for your help
>
> Keith
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crosspost to Windows Update per Robert's lead]
>>
>> 1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | OK
>>
>> Write down the complete, second line of text displayed then post it in a
>>
>> 2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to and right-click on...
>>
>> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
>>
>> Select Properties | Version (tab): What file version is displayed here
>> (e.g., v8.0.1234.56789)?
>>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> applications running in the background when you attempted to install IE8?
>>
>> 4. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> KeithIrv wrote:
>>> When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or
>>> manually),
>>> the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
>>> the
>>> installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
>>> 8"
>>> line. If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need