From: Mike Easter on
PDFrank wrote:
> If I upgrade IE6 to IE8 on my beloved laptop running Win98SE,

W98se will not run any IE above the IE6 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/evaluation/sysreqs/default.mspx
Internet Explorer 6 SP1 System Requirements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_6#Release_history
6.0 SP1 September 9, 2002 Vulnerability patch. Last version supported on
Windows NT 4.0 SP6a, 98, 2000 or Me.

Any IE6 is insecure and incompetent to properly render modern webpages
and should not be used.

> Has a whopping 288 MB of RAM
> Genuine Intel Pentium II processor with MMX
> 849 MB free on a 3.8gig hard drive

You can run opera or you can run firefox with kernelex.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/ KernelEx is an Open Source
compatibility layer with an aim to allow running Windows 2000/XP-only
applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium
operating systems.

--
Mike Easter
From: Mike Easter on
PDFrank wrote:

> Has a whopping 288 MB of RAM
> Genuine Intel Pentium II processor with MMX
> 849 MB free on a 3.8gig hard drive

You can also run Puppy Linux like gangbusters.

And you can run a slim XP - but you have to be careful about how you go
about defending/securing it from malware.

You can also run other lightweight linuxes not as light as puppy.

--
Mike Easter
From: h.godavari on
Mike Easter wrote:
> PDFrank wrote:
>
>> Has a whopping 288 MB of RAM
>> Genuine Intel Pentium II processor with MMX
>> 849 MB free on a 3.8gig hard drive
>
> You can also run Puppy Linux like gangbusters.
>
> And you can run a slim XP - but you have to be careful about how you
> go about defending/securing it from malware.
>
> You can also run other lightweight linuxes not as light as puppy.

What about security on those. They (the websites) don.t say much about
it. Where does a newbie go to find out about those issues & remedies?
Thanks for your help
regards
hg
From: Mike Easter on
h.godavari wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> You can also run Puppy Linux like gangbusters.
>>
>> And you can run a slim XP - but you have to be careful about how you
>> go about defending/securing it from malware.

In this part I was talking about his being light on resources, he
wouldn't want to bog things down for XP too much with wasting resources
on poorly chosen or poorly configured antimalware. Or other wasteful or
excessive use of his resources.

>> You can also run other lightweight linuxes not as light as puppy.
>>

> What about security on those. They (the websites) don.t say much about
> it. Where does a newbie go to find out about those issues & remedies?

Malware to execute on linux is presently almost unheard of - so 'no one'
runs any kind of antispyware or antivirus. (Except people who are
running servers for windows users - to protect them.)

Are you referring to any other kind of security?

A linux user could get scammed. They could open a misleading spam and go
to a website and give the site their user/pass for something.

Somewhere someone argued for linux users who weren't serving windows
users using AV ware, but I can't remember exactly what their argument
was. I don't.

--
Mike Easter
From: h.godavari on
Mike Easter wrote:
> h.godavari wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>>> You can also run Puppy Linux like gangbusters.
>>>
>>> And you can run a slim XP - but you have to be careful about how you
>>> go about defending/securing it from malware.
>
> In this part I was talking about his being light on resources, he
> wouldn't want to bog things down for XP too much with wasting
> resources on poorly chosen or poorly configured antimalware. Or other
> wasteful or excessive use of his resources.
>
>>> You can also run other lightweight linuxes not as light as puppy.
>>>

>> What about security on those. They (the websites) don.t say much
>> about it. Where does a newbie go to find out about those issues &
>> remedies?
>
> Malware to execute on linux is presently almost unheard of - so 'no
> one' runs any kind of antispyware or antivirus. (Except people who are
> running servers for windows users - to protect them.)
>
> Are you referring to any other kind of security?
>
> A linux user could get scammed. They could open a misleading spam and
> go to a website and give the site their user/pass for something.
>
> Somewhere someone argued for linux users who weren't serving windows
> users using AV ware, but I can't remember exactly what their argument
> was. I don't.

I was thinking about root-kit and such.. I am looking at a book(from our
library) "Hardening Linux" by James Turnbull -- 500 odd pages. All I
want to do is email and a bit of surfing (like visiting Distrowatch :-)
) No music and no videos. %00 pages of stuff to read and try to
remember all those new terms is a bit beyond my two grey cells.

I started installing Debian and stopped halfway when I ran into several
hundred pages of securing the distro. That was several months ago and I
have picked up the energy to do what they advise :-(

regards
hg.