From: nobody on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:50:51 +0100, Ed <ex(a)directory> wrote:

>On my Windows 98SE machine, I am running Opera 10.60 with no problems at
>all. But first, I installed KernelEX (version 4.5) which allows the
>installation of some (but not all) applications which are only
>compatible with Windows XP and above.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out...
From: Ardent on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:33:57 -0500, "h.godavari"
<h.STOPgodavari(a)shaw.STOPca> wrote:

>What about security on those. They (the websites) don.t say much about
>it. Where does a newbie go to find out about those issues & remedies?

Hi H. Godavari

You are still here! Not seen for long.

Greetings and best wishes

Jai Hind
From: h.godavari on
Ardent wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:33:57 -0500, "h.godavari"
> <h.STOPgodavari(a)shaw.STOPca> wrote:
>

>> What about security on those. They (the websites) don.t say much about
>> it. Where does a newbie go to find out about those issues & remedies?
>>

> Hi H. Godavari
>
> You are still here! Not seen for long.
>
> Greetings and best wishes
>
> Jai Hind

Afraid so and still trying to grapple with non-MS OSes :-) Thanks and
I wish you well.

regards
hg
From: Mark Warner on
h.godavari wrote:

> I was thinking about root-kit and such.. I am looking at a book(from our
> library) "Hardening Linux" by James Turnbull -- 500 odd pages. All I
> want to do is email and a bit of surfing (like visiting Distrowatch :-)
> ) No music and no videos. %00 pages of stuff to read and try to
> remember all those new terms is a bit beyond my two grey cells.
>
> I started installing Debian and stopped halfway when I ran into several
> hundred pages of securing the distro. That was several months ago and I
> have picked up the energy to do what they advise :-(

Forget all that nonsense about "hardening Linux". It's plenty hard for
desktop use straight out of the box. Your stuff isn't important to
anybody. (Running a large enterprise server is a different story.)

Just grab an ISO, install it, and use it.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
From: h.godavari on
Mark Warner wrote:
> h.godavari wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking about root-kit and such.. I am looking at a book(from
>> our library) "Hardening Linux" by James Turnbull -- 500 odd pages.
>> All I want to do is email and a bit of surfing (like visiting
>> Distrowatch :-) ) No music and no videos. %00 pages of stuff to read
>> and try to remember all those new terms is a bit beyond my two grey
>> cells.
>>
>> I started installing Debian and stopped halfway when I ran into
>> several hundred pages of securing the distro. That was several months
>> ago and I have picked up the energy to do what they advise :-(
>
> Forget all that nonsense about "hardening Linux". It's plenty hard for
> desktop use straight out of the box. Your stuff isn't important to
> anybody. (Running a large enterprise server is a different story.)
>
> Just grab an ISO, install it, and use it.

Thanks Mark

regards
hg