From: Markus on
I started to share some ppt and pps files because I knew most of my friends did not have Office 2007, Now I find that when using IE8 to download some of my friends pptx and ppsx files they get the pptx and ppsx suffix replaced by a zip suffix when downloading. real pain in the butt as I can't find out how to get Windows to show suffix. The IE8 folks need to fix this or they will loose ground rapidly to FF.

Steve Rindsberg wrote:

Re: Can't get .pptx files to open
01-Oct-07

In article <30AB99BF-0492-486D-8E73-CF2DC3230AB9(a)microsoft.com>, Michelle
wrote:

I think Ute may have nailed it. But meanwhile, do you have Windows set to its
default, hiding extensions of known file types?

Make Windows show file extensions and hidden files
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00781.htm

If Windows is in "Hide my stuff" mode, you can have files with idiot names like
MyPowerPoint2007File.PPTX.ZIP but Windows hides the ZIP part. The human sees
PPTX, Windows sees .ZIP and opens it as a zip file when the human doubleclicks
the file.

Naughty naughy windowsmonkey.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

On Friday, September 28, 2007 9:07 PM
Michell wrote:

Can't get .pptx files to open
Hello. I have a problem.
I have microsoft office 2007 on my vista laptop..and for some reason, I can
create powerpoints with the .pptx ending and open them, but when I open
powerpoints with the ending .pptx that are from other computers (I am a
teaching assistant), they will not open and just extrat as a zip file.

I also have the plugin to take office 2007 on my 2003 edition, but it still
wont let me open these files. Can anyone help? I dont know whats wrong!!

Thanks,
Michelle

On Saturday, September 29, 2007 4:45 AM
Ute Simon wrote:

Hi Michelle,how do you exchange PowerPoint files with others?
Hi Michelle,

how do you exchange PowerPoint files with others? Via FTP or internet? We
had a similar problem recently: Our webmaster uploaded PPTX-files and when
people downloaded them, they got ZIP-files. Renaming them from ZIP to PPTX
solved the problem.

The reason is, that server software sometimes does not "understand" this new
file format.

What else can you try:
- Do not open the files with a double-click in Windows Explorer, but with
Office-Button - Open from PowerPoint.
- Have people zip the PPTX-files before uploading/sending.

Best regards,
Ute

--
Ute Simon
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team und PowerPoint-User-Team

wrote:

I think Ute may have nailed it. But meanwhile, do you have Windows set to its
default, hiding extensions of known file types?

Make Windows show file extensions and hidden files
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00781.htm

If Windows is in "Hide my stuff" mode, you can have files with idiot names like
MyPowerPoint2007File.PPTX.ZIP but Windows hides the ZIP part. The human sees
PPTX, Windows sees .ZIP and opens it as a zip file when the human doubleclicks
the file.

Naughty naughy windowsmonkey.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Vista Glass Effect NotifyIcon CPU / Memory Meter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/4e03a3e2-5bc7-4d44-a7ac-e250825c8c39/vista-glass-effect-notify.aspx
From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <20091214211734markusritter(a)hotmail.com>, Markus Ritter wrote:
> I started to share some ppt and pps files because I knew most of my friends did
not have Office 2007, Now I find that when using IE8 to download some of my friends
pptx and ppsx files they get the pptx and ppsx suffix replaced by a zip suffix when
downloading. real pain in the butt as I can't find out how to get Windows to show
suffix. The IE8 folks need to fix this or they will loose ground rapidly to FF.

Is that a bad thing? ;-)

In any case, have a look here, particularly at the last suggestion on the page:

Office files don't download correctly from a Web Server; saved as zip files instead
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00911.htm

> Steve Rindsberg wrote:
>
> Re: Can't get .pptx files to open
> 01-Oct-07
>
> In article <30AB99BF-0492-486D-8E73-CF2DC3230AB9(a)microsoft.com>, Michelle
> wrote:
>
> I think Ute may have nailed it. But meanwhile, do you have Windows set to its
> default, hiding extensions of known file types?
>
> Make Windows show file extensions and hidden files
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00781.htm
>
> If Windows is in "Hide my stuff" mode, you can have files with idiot names like
> MyPowerPoint2007File.PPTX.ZIP but Windows hides the ZIP part. The human sees
> PPTX, Windows sees .ZIP and opens it as a zip file when the human doubleclicks
> the file.
>
> Naughty naughy windowsmonkey.

> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> PPTools: www.pptools.com

> On Friday, September 28, 2007 9:07 PM
> Michell wrote:
>
> Can't get .pptx files to open
> Hello. I have a problem.
> I have microsoft office 2007 on my vista laptop..and for some reason, I can
> create powerpoints with the .pptx ending and open them, but when I open
> powerpoints with the ending .pptx that are from other computers (I am a
> teaching assistant), they will not open and just extrat as a zip file.
>
> I also have the plugin to take office 2007 on my 2003 edition, but it still
> wont let me open these files. Can anyone help? I dont know whats wrong!!
>
> Thanks,
> Michelle
>
> On Saturday, September 29, 2007 4:45 AM
> Ute Simon wrote:
>
> Hi Michelle,how do you exchange PowerPoint files with others?
> Hi Michelle,
>
> how do you exchange PowerPoint files with others? Via FTP or internet? We
> had a similar problem recently: Our webmaster uploaded PPTX-files and when
> people downloaded them, they got ZIP-files. Renaming them from ZIP to PPTX
> solved the problem.
>
> The reason is, that server software sometimes does not "understand" this new
> file format.
>
> What else can you try:
> - Do not open the files with a double-click in Windows Explorer, but with
> Office-Button - Open from PowerPoint.
> - Have people zip the PPTX-files before uploading/sending.
>
> Best regards,
> Ute

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/