From: Hans-Georg Michna on
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:09:07 -0400, David Mark wrote:

>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>>> Which tells you nothing at all.

>> Only if you don't know what a [toolbox] is.

>Even a "toolbox" could mean anything in the context of a class
>attribute. The mind reels at the possibilities.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful
tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean---neither more nor
less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean
so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be
master---that's all."

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute
Humpty Dumpty began again. "They've a temper, some of
them---particularly verbs, they're the proudest---attributes you
can do anything with, but not verbs---however, I can manage the
whole of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

[I apologize for altering one word. Hans-Georg]
From: Hans-Georg Michna on
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:22:19 -0700 (PDT), Antony Scriven wrote:

>In my experience using classes for semantic purposes can help
>with large projects (especially collaborations). So if this can
>work both ways then perhaps this is really a project management
>issue, communication issue, or a programming guidelines issue,
>rather than some real theoretical problem of using classes for
>semantic purposes.

A word of wisdom. Thanks.

All I'm learning from this discussion is that it may be wise to
use meaningful strings in the class attribute. For example, if
you want to animate toolboxes, give them a class string like
toolbox-animation, not just toolbox.

I'm with the standard here. I think it makes sense to use the
class attribute for any kind of grouping for which no other
suitable attribute exists.

In a way the class attribute is a joker---you can use it for
anything. But if you do that, make sure that other people
working with your code can easily understand what the class
string means and does.

But of course it is far from me to try to force other people
here to do it that way too. If you are vehemently opposed to
this kind of use, do something else. Could we perhaps briefly
discuss what that something else may be? How am I supposed to
define some HTML elements that are sprinkled across a page as
belonging to a certain group?

Hans-Georg
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On Apr 3, 1:09 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Underlying problem? Earlier you wrote that the biggest issue was
> predefined classes.

Surely by now it should have been made clear from the posts thus far
from myself and others. Repeating the same thing again and again is
getting old, and I'm tired of doing it.
From: Antony Scriven on
On Apr 3, 12:03 am, Michael Haufe wrote:

> I'm saying that the spec should not have have allowed the
> [class] attribute to mean *anything* the browser feels
> like.

I took it to mean anything the author feels like. I agree
that having it mean anything the *browser* feels like is not
a good thing. --Antony
From: Antony Scriven on
On Apr 3, 12:17 am, Michael Haufe wrote:

> On Apr 2, 3:55 pm, Antony Scriven <adscri...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In other words, use the class attribute purely for
> > semantics. Sounds more reasonable to me. --Antony
>
> No one promoted this.

I thought I was paraphrasing Scott in particular and one
side of the argument in general. If not, then I just
promoted it. --Antony