From: Garrett Smith on
Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
> On Apr 3, 1:09 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Underlying problem? Earlier you wrote that the biggest issue was
>> predefined classes.
>
> Surely by now it should have been made clear from the posts thus far
> from myself and others. Repeating the same thing again and again is
> getting old, and I'm tired of doing it.
You being tired is an excuse, not a reason.
--
Garrett
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On Apr 3, 12:16 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> You being tired is an excuse, not a reason.

And your inability to read up to this point is inexcusable.

On Apr 3, 1:09 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Earlier you wrote that the biggest issue was
> predefined classes.

Yes, it was a big issue as it was a stupid move by the WG as
mentioned, and the spec allowed such bungling up to this point In my
interpetation ("For general purpose processing by user agents"). But
their backtracking on that move does not change the original argument
since I only brought it up as it had built upon the original loose
definition. You yourself even promoted this idea:

On Mar 29, 1:45 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> A use of semantic class name could be:

> HTML doesn't provide an EMAIL element. It does provide generic element
> and it does provide a way to make that element belong to a class.
>
> Taking semantic class to the next level would be formalization of
> specific class names, such as how to represent email address.

On Apr 3, 1:09 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Underlying problem?

The point I made about using the class attribute being able to
represent anything under the sun is a mistake and that has been
brought up numerous times already by more than one person. Mixing
purposes is a mistake as it lead to it's own set of problems. I
pointed out that the spec should have separated these two concerns.
You then mentioned that microformats does this in some degree and
Thomas Lahn showed how this is insufficient. David Mark promoted
limiting yourself to using it for presentation only. Antony Scriven, I
think without realizing it, showed how David's limitation can be
unreliable as well:

On Apr 2, 3:55 pm, Antony Scriven <adscri...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> In other words, use the class attribute purely for semantics.
> Sounds more reasonable to me. --Antony

Obviously the same problems apply either way because the attribute has
no real meaning on its own and this is by design.
From: Garrett Smith on
Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
> On Apr 3, 12:16 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> You being tired is an excuse, not a reason.
>
> And your inability to read up to this point is inexcusable.

Posting your presumptions about what I do? I have read every single
message in this thread.

> On Apr 3, 1:09 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Earlier you wrote that the biggest issue was
>> predefined classes.
>
> Yes, it was a big issue as it was a stupid move by the WG as
> mentioned, and the spec allowed such bungling up to this point In my
> interpetation ("For general purpose processing by user agents"). But
> their backtracking on that move does not change the original argument
> since I only brought it up as it had built upon the original loose
> definition. You yourself even promoted this idea:

I did not promote HTML5 predefined classes. I used a microformat as an
example of using class to annotate semantic meaning of element.

I explained how that microformat could be used by a javascript function
that takes a div "hCard", and finds all the hCard elements in it. By
following a model that is both (1) semantic, and (2) consistent, the
function hCardToJSON(div) can be expected to have consistent results.

Thomas pointed out the problems with the design of that microformat and
nobody disagreed. THose problems do not, however, refute the value or
validity of the argument I proposed which was supported by microformats.

| The class in the markup says something about the markup, not the CSS.
| The HTML attribute in this case describes what sort of thing it is.

That argument still stands and it is still valid.

You've mentioned "separation of concerns". That is the very thing I am
explaining.

> On Mar 29, 1:45 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> A use of semantic class name could be:

>> HTML doesn't provide an EMAIL element. It does provide generic element
>> and it does provide a way to make that element belong to a class.
>>
>> Taking semantic class to the next level would be formalization of
>> specific class names, such as how to represent email address.
>
> On Apr 3, 1:09 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Underlying problem?
>
> The point I made about using the class attribute being able to
> represent anything under the sun is a mistake and that has been
> brought up numerous times already by more than one person. Mixing
> purposes is a mistake as it lead to it's own set of problems.

The class attribute represents a way to group elements into classes. The
class is not just about CSS.

> pointed out that the spec should have separated these two concerns.

You did but you did not give any reason.

> You then mentioned that microformats does this in some degree and
> Thomas Lahn showed how this is insufficient.

Lahn showed problems with implementation of a particular microformat.

David Mark promoted
> limiting yourself to using it for presentation only.

Yeah, so what?

Antony Scriven, I
> think without realizing it, showed how David's limitation can be
> unreliable as well:

Antony reaffirmed the value of semantic meaning of classnames and
pointed out the value in communication and process.

> On Apr 2, 6:31 pm, Michael Haufe wrote:
>>
>> Does "toolbox" tell me what it looks like, or tell me
>> what it is? There is no way to know from looking at the
>> code. Do I have to look at the stylesheet, do I have to
>> look at the other toolboxes to see if there is a common
>> use? Or is it some combination of both[?]
>

> On Apr 2, 1:43 pm, Antony Scriven <adscri...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> And if classes are used purely for CSS, how do those
>> questions suddenly not still apply?
>

> On Apr 2, 3:55 pm, Antony Scriven <adscri...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> In other words, use the class attribute purely for semantics.
>> Sounds more reasonable to me. --Antony
>
> Obviously the same problems apply either way because the attribute has
> no real meaning on its own and this is by design.

The class attribute groups elements into a class of objects. I do not
see the problem in understanding that.
--
Garrett
From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 1:09 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Underlying problem? Earlier you wrote that the biggest issue was
>>> predefined classes.
>>
>> Surely by now it should have been made clear from the posts thus far
>> from myself and others. Repeating the same thing again and again is
>> getting old, and I'm tired of doing it.
> You being tired is an excuse, not a reason.

Do you ever stop to think that you are the problem. I have and I really
think there's something to it.
From: Scott Sauyet on
Antony Scriven wrote:
> On Apr 3, 12:17 am, Michael Haufe wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 3:55 pm, Antony Scriven <adscri...(a)gmail.com> > wrote:
>
>>> In other words, use the class attribute purely for
>>> semantics. Sounds more reasonable to me. --Antony
>>
>> No one promoted this.
>
> I thought I was paraphrasing Scott in particular and one
> side of the argument in general. If not, then I just
> promoted it. --Antony

Well, if I didn't say that, I should have.

To the arguments that an attribute should be used for one thing only,
I agree. But that one thing in the case of the class attribute has to
do with logically grouping together otherwise unrelated elements.
Ideally, this should be done with a term that's meaningful in your
context: don't use "toolbox" if it's ambiguous in your environment.

That is what the class attribute should be used for. If you then want
to style the elements of that group in a particular way, you can add a
CSS rule that references your class. If you want to hide those
elements as they're not needed in your nifty Web2.0 Rich Internet
Application, add some script that selects them using this class name.
If you want to annoy the hell out of Thomas Lahn with your amateurish
start-up animation on those elements, use them as hooks for this noble
purpose.

I feel I haven't gotten satisfactory answers about the differences
with the "id" attribute, but I want to ask another along the same
lines. For those who are suggesting that the class attribute be used
only for CSS, do you believe it's acceptable to use a single class
attribute for screen, projection, and aural stylesheets, or should you
have separate class attributes for each? And if it's the latter,
what's so different about also using them as hooks for scripting?

-- Scott