From: Giuseppe on
I have a peripheral connected to a converter IEEE1284/USB (Prolific pl2305).
To increase the speed of data transfer I need to change the setup of the
pl2305 chip. I tried to send UsbBuildGetDescriptorRequest (..
USB_CONFIGURATION_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE, ...) but I do not know how to find the
PDEVICE_OBJECT to send the request.

Tanks.

From: Tim Roberts on
"Giuseppe" <info(a)electrostudio.it> wrote:

>I have a peripheral connected to a converter IEEE1284/USB (Prolific pl2305).
>To increase the speed of data transfer I need to change the setup of the
>pl2305 chip. I tried to send UsbBuildGetDescriptorRequest (..
>USB_CONFIGURATION_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE, ...) but I do not know how to find the
>PDEVICE_OBJECT to send the request.

What is it that you hope to change? You can't change the descriptors in
the device. It's a USB 1.1 device, which means it's inherently limited in
its data rate.

You could conceivably write a lower filter driver to tuck underneath their
driver, and send URBs that way, but I'm dubious that you will be able to
change anything.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Giuseppe on

The converter uses the IEEE1284/USB Prolific pl2305 chip. From the
data-sheet that has an interface with three alternative settings. I wanted
to try to force Interface 0, Alternate Setting 2 (I0: A2) to see if the
communication speed in reverse increases. The converter is operated by the
driver usbprint.sys. I have not found information how to change the mode of
communication through the standard driver. By defaul the mode of
communication in reverse is nibble, my device supports BYTE and ECP.
Otherwise I am forced to rewrite the driver to replace usbprint.sys, which
is too expensive and long.

Tanks.

From: Tim Roberts on
"Giuseppe" <info(a)electrostudio.it> wrote:

>The converter uses the IEEE1284/USB Prolific pl2305 chip. From the
>data-sheet that has an interface with three alternative settings. I wanted
>to try to force Interface 0, Alternate Setting 2 (I0: A2) to see if the
>communication speed in reverse increases.

Alterate setting 2 just adds an interrupt IN pipe. That's an extension to
the USB Printer Class, so usbprint.sys will not know about it.

>The converter is operated by the driver usbprint.sys.

Your basic problem is that usbprint.sys does not support bidirectional
modes. Back transfer is done through the control lines. End of story.

>Otherwise I am forced to rewrite the driver to replace usbprint.sys, which
>is too expensive and long.

Maybe. USB Printer Class is a very simple specification. The whole spec
is only 17 pages, including titles and tables of contents. You could drive
this device with WinUSB without even breaking a sweat.