From: "Chris Haynes" on
Robin Dunn wrote:
> See

http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?8:msp:93517:fijbnmpjbjeoomhmoci

Thanks, that did it. Looks like our messages "crossed in the mail".

It seems the simplest fix for the book's code on the bottom of page 502 is
to remove the parent argument.

The remaining show-stopper for my application is that though the
python-initiaed IE browser will run Javascript (with an absolute link: see
below), it is unresponsive to keyboard input. If the window is too small so
there is a vertical scrollbar, the
up/down arrow keys will scroll, so keyboard events are being caught at a
level that manages the window scrolling, not by
the IE browser, as I need.

html.SetFocus()

does not help. Any suggestions on how to burrow in to the IE canvas so the
focus can be set there? Or some other approach?

Another glitch I can live with is that relative file links don't work, or
are relative to something useless (not the python current directory). If
that can be fixed it would be nice.

Best,
Chris

From: Robin Dunn on
Chris Haynes wrote:
> Robin Dunn wrote:
> > See
> >
> _http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?8:msp:93517:fijbnmpjbjeoomhmocik_
>

> Thanks, that did it. Looks like our messages "crossed in the mail".
>
> It seems the simplest fix for the book's code on the bottom of page 502
> is to remove the parent argument.

No, it is a listing of the constructor for the class, not a snippet of
code showing how to use it. So the self parameter should be removed
because what you need to pass to the constructor is a parent window for
the html control, that is how similar things are shown elsewhere in the
book. (The confusion you are having is that in the context of using the
class the parent window is often called self because you are creating it
in the constructor (or __init__) of the parent window.)

> The remaining show-stopper for my application is that though the
> python-initiaed IE browser will run Javascript (with an absolute link:
> see below), it is unresponsive to keyboard input. If the window is too
> small so there is a vertical scrollbar, the
>
> up/down arrow keys will scroll, so keyboard events are being caught at a
> level that manages the window scrolling, not by
>
> the IE browser, as I need.
>
> html.SetFocus()
>
> does not help. Any suggestions on how to burrow in to the IE canvas so
> the focus can be set there? Or some other approach?

Which version of wxPython do you use? There was at one time a bug
related to tab traversal of form controls, etc.

> Another glitch I can live with is that relative file links don't work,
> or are relative to something useless (not the python current directory).
> If that can be fixed it would be nice.

How do you load the initial page? I don't use this control very much
myself but I think that if you are loading from a string or a stream
then there is no context for IE to use to figure out how to find a
relative link. If you instead load the initial page with LoadURL() then
I think it should work.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: "Chris Haynes" on
No, it is a listing of the constructor for the class, not a snippet
of
code showing how to use it. So the self parameter should be removed

because what you need to pass to the constructor is a parent window
for
the html control, that is how similar things are shown elsewhere in
the
book. (The confusion you are having is that in the context of using
the
class the parent window is often called self because you are
creating it
in the constructor (or __init__) of the parent window.)

Pardon, I should have read more carefully.

> The remaining show-stopper for my application is that though the
> python-initiaed IE browser will run Javascript (with an absolute
link:
> see below), it is unresponsive to keyboard input. If the window is
too
> small so there is a vertical scrollbar, the
>
> up/down arrow keys will scroll, so keyboard events are being
caught at a
> level that manages the window scrolling, not by
>
> the IE browser, as I need.
>
> html.SetFocus()
>
> does not help. Any suggestions on how to burrow in to the IE
canvas so
> the focus can be set there? Or some other approach?

Which version of wxPython do you use? There was at one time a bug
related to tab traversal of form controls, etc.

> Another glitch I can live with is that relative file links don't
work,
> or are relative to something useless (not the python current
directory).
> If that can be fixed it would be nice.

How do you load the initial page? I don't use this control very
much
myself but I think that if you are loading from a string or a stream

then there is no context for IE to use to figure out how to find a
relative link. If you instead load the initial page with LoadURL()
then
I think it should work.

wxWidgets-2.6.3 with Python2.4

That fixed the rel link problem. Thanks a lot!

Best,
Chris