From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:10:07 -0700, MelissaS
<MelissaS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me why this IF formula isn't working?
>
>=IF(D5<E5<F5,"A",IF(D5>E5>F5,"B",
>IF(D5<E5>F5,"C",IF(D5>E5<F5,"D","F"))))
>
>It's returning "B" every time. D5, E5, and F5 are all derived from
>formulas. Is that the problem? I appreciate any help!

Your syntax is the same as:
(D5<E5)<F5

So, depending on the values in D5 and E5, that first part will evaluate to TRUE
or FALSE. So, unless F5=TRUE, the construct will always evaluate to FALSE.
(Excel's default ordering has TRUE and FALSE being "greater than" most anything
else).

Conversely, your second IF will always evaluate to TRUE, unless F5=TRUE.

You've provided no particular context or examples or information as to the
contents of D5, E5 or F5 for your issue, but most who make this mistake find
that they are best served using the AND function.

For example: =and(d5<e5,e5<f5)

--ron
From: MelissaS on
That is a good point about the relationship between D5 and F5. I don't
actually care whether D5 > or < F5, I only care about the relationships
between D5 and E5 and then E5 and F5, so it looks like your original
suggestion will work. But your comment about my intent helped me think
through it a little bit more.
Thanks!