From: Phillip Baker on
Greetings All,

I am at a new Gig.
So this is the existing setup so changing it at least in the short term is
not an option.

We are in an IIS shop.
We have a bunch of files that are html, and in need of php functionality.
And that would be a BUNCH of files.

I am interested in setting if I can set up IIS to use the php interpreter on
HTML files.
And then just start using the html files as php.

There are just so many html files I would prefer to not do 301 redirects,
not header redirects and blot the server with empty files (nearly empty).
My preference is to use the existing files.

Is there a way to make this happen?
Are there any pitfalls in making this happen that I will need to be aware
of?

Blessed Be

Phillip
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:26 -0600, Phillip Baker wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I am at a new Gig.
> So this is the existing setup so changing it at least in the short term is
> not an option.
>
> We are in an IIS shop.
> We have a bunch of files that are html, and in need of php functionality.
> And that would be a BUNCH of files.
>
> I am interested in setting if I can set up IIS to use the php interpreter on
> HTML files.
> And then just start using the html files as php.
>
> There are just so many html files I would prefer to not do 301 redirects,
> not header redirects and blot the server with empty files (nearly empty).
> My preference is to use the existing files.
>
> Is there a way to make this happen?
> Are there any pitfalls in making this happen that I will need to be aware
> of?
>
> Blessed Be
>
> Phillip

Yes, you just configure IIS to treat the .html extension the same as it
does .php.

Several things to note though. You can't control this on a site-by-site
basis as far as I remember, so if you set this, it's for the whole
server. Any plain html pages will be delivered more slowly.

Second, PHP code isn't inserted into HTML, rather it's the other way
around. This distinction is important when you are outputting content
other than HTML from PHP code, or when you are using the header()
function.

Although IIS wouldn't be my server of choice, I think the one thing you
may find lacking is Apaches .htaccess files. IIS can emulate most of the
behaviour of this with plugins though, but I believe they tend to cost.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:26 -0600, Phillip Baker wrote:
>
> > Greetings All,
> >
> > I am at a new Gig.
> > So this is the existing setup so changing it at least in the short
> > term is not an option.
> >
> > We are in an IIS shop.
> > We have a bunch of files that are html, and in need of php
functionality.
> > And that would be a BUNCH of files.
> >
> > I am interested in setting if I can set up IIS to use the php
> > interpreter on HTML files.
> > And then just start using the html files as php.
> >
> > There are just so many html files I would prefer to not do 301
> > redirects, not header redirects and blot the server with empty files
(nearly
> empty).
> > My preference is to use the existing files.
> >
> > Is there a way to make this happen?
> > Are there any pitfalls in making this happen that I will need to be
> > aware of?
> >
> > Blessed Be
> >
> > Phillip
>

> Yes, you just configure IIS to treat the .html extension the same as it
> does .php.
>
> Several things to note though. You can't control this on a site-by-site
basis as
> far as I remember, so if you set this, it's for the whole server. Any
plain html
> pages will be delivered more slowly.

Correction, IIS7.5 (Win08r2) and IIS7 (Win08) can set it at per
path/site/server depending on your needs. Set it via 'handler mappings'
accordingly. I don't remember IIS 6 and older since it's been a couple of
years I've dealt with IIS 6.

Regards,
Tommy

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 17:34 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:

> [...]

Ah, that's good for Phillip then. I've not used IIS for over a year now,
and the version I used was very old (cheap company didn't see the need
to update anything, ever!)