From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message

> That also depends on what else is running on the machine that w3pc.exe is
> servicing, which can tip it. We face that problem on the IIS server,
> because of the client insists upon running this one application that
> forces scheduled IIS Resets. They are too cheap to get a dedicated Web
> server to run this application.

Ah, well yes, at that level, all bets are off and there's very little you
can do about it...

It's the old adage: you can have it good, cheap or fast - pick any two...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Mr. Arnold on
Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message
>
>> That also depends on what else is running on the machine that w3pc.exe
>> is servicing, which can tip it. We face that problem on the IIS
>> server, because of the client insists upon running this one
>> application that forces scheduled IIS Resets. They are too cheap to
>> get a dedicated Web server to run this application.
>
> Ah, well yes, at that level, all bets are off and there's very little
> you can do about it...
>
> It's the old adage: you can have it good, cheap or fast - pick any two...

It's the USAF we're talking Web servers on a farm, and all the front-end
Web servers are being IIS Reset on a scheduled bases, because everything
is inproc. The USAF has money, but they will not back completely what is
being used by all the US Armed Forces. -:)

They were finally convinced recently to get a fail-over SQL server. It
is ridiculous.
From: Raghupathi K on
On Apr 9, 7:53 pm, mgdev <mg...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I need some help on how to troubleshoot IIS Randomly Hanging on my server..
>
> Late last year we upgraded our ASP.net (2.0) application with a lot of new
> features.  Now that we've rolled this new version out to many of our
> customers we're getting complaints about IIS hanging and needing to be
> restarted.  Unfortunately, this hanging is random.  After the restart of IIS
> the application works as expected.  We are unable to predictably reproduce
> this hanging situation.  But at some point, anywhere from an hour to a few
> days, the w3wp.exe will hang again and prevent the system from being used..  I
> have observed this first hand, but as I stated above, after restarting IIS I
> can't reproduce the problem.
>
> We have seen this problem in both IIS6 (Server 2003) and IIS7 (Server 2008).
>
> If you have any suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting or
> resolving this issue I'd like to know.  Please know that this is an urgent
> matter so if there are any options I can try that would minimize this problem
> for the short term I'd like to explore that as well.

May be this is an issue relating to Application Pool Recylcing/Worker
Process Recycling.

Check out these links, may be useful
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/24e3c22e-79a9-4f07-a407-dbd0e7f35432.mspx?mfr=true
http://www.function1.com/2007/04/turn-off-application-pool-recycling-and-idle-timeout-iis6/