From: Fresno Bob on
Hi I ugraded to Ultimate from Business Premium and IIS doesn't work any more
I get a 503 error - Service Unavailable. I create an application pool and
then a web site that uses it. When I go to access the page via localhost I
get the 503 error and the app pool stops

This is an IIS issue as it affects html pages and not just aspx. When I look
in the event log I see the following error -

The worker process for application pool '*******' encountered an error
'Cannot read configuration file

' trying to read global module configuration data from file
'\\?\C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config', line number
'0'. Worker process startup aborted.

I have tried

1. Copying the applicationHost.config from an MS website in the config file
was corrupted

2. Giving the Network Service read permissions to the
C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config folder - however I was only successful
with this once - I reinstalled IIS and now it won't let me add users to the
folder.

This is really frustrating - I paid a lot of money for this upgrade and a
lot things, which I bought it for, don't work. Can anyone help regards,
Chris.

From: Ken Schaefer on
There is something wrong with your applicationHost.config file. This is the
central IIS configuration file.

If you don't have a working backup of this file, you could consider
uninstalling IIS. Then deleting the existing config files in
c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config (you will need to use an elevated window
to do this), and then reinstalling IIS.

Also, install Vista SP1 (if you haven't already), as that has some fixes
(apparently) for some apphost.config corruption issues.

Cheers
Ken

From: Fresno Bob on
Hi thanks for the reply. I wish I would have posted here earlier. I have
just installed SP 1 and it all seems fine. So far.....

Regards, Chris.

From: Fresno Bob on
Out of curiosity how do I do things like delete with an elevated privilage?
Do you mean right click on e.g. Windows Explorer and run as Administrator.

From: Ken Schaefer on
You can't do that, unfortunately. If you try to delete from within Explorer,
hopefully you'll be prompted and then you can delete.

If you are not prompted, and just get an Access Denied, then open Command
Prompt using "Run as Administrator" and delete the files that way.

Cheers
Ken

--
My IIS blog: http://adopenstatic.com/blog