From: BHMod on
Approximately 3 months ago I set up a new Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) web
server running two sites with SSL services under IIS7. These sites have run
very reliably and are virtually downtime free. The server is fully patched
and current, and has been scanned several times over the past couple of days
for viruses or rootkits, all of which came back clean.

Last week I was asked to add a third website to the server. We bound the
additional IP address, set up the web services, and bound the new web
certificate to that service. Within hours of transitioning the new site to
the server, we received a call that the "site was down". I discovered that
the site was responding correctly on port 80, but that SSL services on 443
were totally dead for that instance. SSL services continued to work properly
for the other two sites on the server. The error log showed no entries.

I first attempted to restart that web service, which did not help, and then
restarted the entire IIS service (taking three production sites offline),
which also did not help, and then restarted the entire computer, which still
did not resolve the problem. I eventually went into the bindings for the
site, unbound the SSL services, and then re-created the binding. That solved
the problem, and the SSL services for the site came right back up.

For a day or two anyway. We have now experienced this problem three times in
five days, all with the new site. The old ones continue to operate without
issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
From: Jeffrey Ingalls on
I have seen this issue in earlier versions of IIS and the cause was due to
corruption/bad values in the metabase for the bindings. Try running the SSL
Diagnostics for IIS 7.0:

http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2009/09/20/ssl-diagnostics-tool-for-iis-7.aspx

If the report doesn't generate any error messages please post back and we
can dig a little deeper.

All the best,
Jeffrey Ingalls