From: miloje984 on
Hi,

We have one problem regarding Indirect SPI programming using Impact.

On our PCB we have Atmel ATDB642D SPI Flash memory (8CN3,CASON) connected
to Spartan-3A XC3S1400AFG676. When we try to program the Flash memory using
direct sPI programming method everything works just fine. But when we try
to program the memory using indirect SPI programming method the
verification fails. During programming SPI lines between memory and Xilinx
are active, and SPI communication is doing fine. We see that the code is
well downloaded to memory because the FPGA configures well when the board
is reset.

Nevertheless, the verification fails. Besides that, when we try to perform
readback from the memory, we get that memory is filled with zeros, but that
obviously is not the case. Readback have been done in JTAG mode. During
readback (CCLK, CS, MISO, MOSI SPI) lines which connect SPI memory to
Xilinx FPGA are inactive and there is no communication.
When we perform indirect SPI method, M[2:0] bits are set for master SPI
mode and VS[2:0] bits are set to fast read. Xilinx Prom memory is disabled
during programming. We tried to change VS[2:0] to read command, but the
problem was not solved. We use Xilinx ISE 10.1 software.

I have tried this on Spartan 3a evolution board with xc3sa700 chip and
ATDB16 memory chip and this works fine.

Thank you in advance,
Regards, Ivan Milojevic
Serbia, Belgrade