From: Phill W. on
On 14/06/2010 23:22, Dennis Rose wrote:

> In your opinion, where should I go in the future to get VB questions
> answered when this forum closes?

The general consensus (earlier in the year, anyway) seemed to be to jump
over [back?] to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc; things do seem to be
picking up again over there.

Regards,
Phill W.
From: dpb on
Phill W. wrote:
> On 14/06/2010 23:22, Dennis Rose wrote:
>
>> In your opinion, where should I go in the future to get VB questions
>> answered when this forum closes?
>
> The general consensus (earlier in the year, anyway) seemed to be to jump
> over [back?] to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc; things do seem to be
> picking up again over there.
That was fallback in the unlikely event all open mirroring servers
actually dropped the ms groups--to date, doesn't seem to be happening so
all one needs must do is point newsreader to another newsserver.

As noted elsewhere, eternal-september.org is a fairly popular choice,
aioe.org is an alternative and there's always the (ughhh!) google web
interface (which I _don't_ recommend)...

And, of course, there are any number of moderately priced to quite
inexpensive pay-for-service newsservers if one has higher need...

From: Dee Earley on
On 14/06/2010 21:42, Bob Butler wrote:

> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Using VB5, I have a string of data that may contain an imbeded equal
>> sign,
>> Carrage return and Line Feed ie. Chr(61) Chr(13) Chr(10), one after
>> another
>> in the data string .
>>
>> How can I test for this?
>>
>> I have tried:
>> TestHexString = " & Chr(61) & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "
>
> No quotes around it... you are searching for the literal string " &
> Chr(...." and not just the 3 characters
>
> TestHexString = chr$(61) & chr$(13) & chr$(10)

Note that this is more efficient:
TestHexString = "=" & vbCrLf

It uses constants and is stored as a string literal rather than a the
result of 3 function calls that are evaluated at runtime.
(It's also more explicit as to what it actually does :)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Dee Earley on
On 15/06/2010 14:03, dpb wrote:
> As noted elsewhere, eternal-september.org is a fairly popular choice,
> aioe.org is an alternative and there's always the (ughhh!) google web
> interface (which I _don't_ recommend)...

aioe.org don't carry the microsoft.* heirachy so won't be hanging on
when the groups disappear.

From: dpb on
Dee Earley wrote:

> On 15/06/2010 14:03, dpb wrote:
>> As noted elsewhere, eternal-september.org is a fairly popular choice,
>> aioe.org is an alternative and there's always the (ughhh!) google web
>> interface (which I _don't_ recommend)...
>
> aioe.org don't carry the microsoft.* heirachy so won't be hanging on
> when the groups disappear.

Interesting since I'm just now reading and replying from there... :)

I've had it as an alternate account for a couple of years or more and
have always watched all the ms groups (albeit only a few, not the entire
hierarchy by any stretch) so not sure how many are mirrored but
certainly some...