From: Barely Audible on
Everytime I restart my sus11.1 server it has a different ip number. Can
anyone tell me how to find the ip number and make it permanent on that
computer?

Many thanks.

--
TTFN
Jim

Freedom Is Not Free
From: Rikishi42 on
On 2010-07-05, Barely Audible <anywhere(a)but.here> wrote:
> Everytime I restart my sus11.1 server it has a different ip number. Can
> anyone tell me how to find the ip number and make it permanent on that
> computer?

What server gives you the IP? Your own broadlband/ router ?
If so, it might have the option to allways give the same IP to a machine
with a given MAC.

If it's a server you can't control, then fix it in Yast/Network
Devices/Network settings.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
-- Ken Thompson
From: David Bolt on
On Monday 05 Jul 2010 18:14, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Barely Audible painted this mural:

> Everytime I restart my sus11.1 server it has a different ip number. Can
> anyone tell me how to find the ip number and make it permanent on that
> computer?

Assuming that it's getting the IP address from a DHCP server, where is
that DHCP server? Is it your router that provides it? Do you connect
using a cable modem and the address you get is assigned by your ISP? Do
you have a DHCP server running on your network somewhere that is
providing the addresses? Is the IP address something like: 10.x.x.x,
172.16-31.x.x or 192.168.x.x ?

Once you let us know where the IP address assignments are being issued
from, then we can tell you whether you can fix the IP address or not,
and what to do to set it as a static IP address.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3RC1 32b

From: David Bolt on
On Monday 05 Jul 2010 18:30, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Rikishi42 painted this mural:

> On 2010-07-05, Barely Audible <anywhere(a)but.here> wrote:
>> Everytime I restart my sus11.1 server it has a different ip number. Can
>> anyone tell me how to find the ip number and make it permanent on that
>> computer?
>
> What server gives you the IP? Your own broadlband/ router ?
> If so, it might have the option to allways give the same IP to a machine
> with a given MAC.

If it's his own router, it will most likely have a block of addresses
to give out to other devices. Picking an unused one outside that block
should work.

> If it's a server you can't control, then fix it in Yast/Network
> Devices/Network settings.

That depends on whether the IP address is a private address, or one
assigned by his ISP. If it's a private one, then he can fix it. If it's
ISP assigned, no he can't.

Regards,
David Bolt

From: Maurice Batey on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 19:22:41 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

> If it's his own router, it will most likely have a block of addresses
> to give out to other devices. Picking an unused one outside that block
> should work.

If there are several terminals on a LAN, there is a need to ensure
each maintains the same IP address regardless of the order in which
they are booted, otherwise the router is likely to allocate the first
of a series to the first to be booted, which makes inter-LAN
addressing difficult.

(I fell into that trap, and escaped via the router (Netgear
D834G) facility to allocate IP address according to the MAC
address of a teminal's NIC (Network Interface Card), thus ensuring
each terminal always has the same IP address, regardless of the order
in which they were booted.)

--
/\/\aurice

 |  Next  |  Last