From: James Kosin on
On 2/5/2010 1:50 PM, Ernesto Silva wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to set up a small network over IPv6. It will have IPv4 too
> but the dhcp server may not work and Ubuntu (9.04) automatically configure a
> .local domain IPv6 addresses, so I must run the samba server and clients
> over IPv6.

<<--snip-->>

> ping6 -Ieth0 ipv6_server_address works fine
> smbclient -L ::1 works fine
> smbclient -L ipv6_client_address works fine
> smbclient -L client_name.local fails with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
>
> smbclient -L ipv6_server_address fails with NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE
> smbclient -L server_name.local fails with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
>
> As I mentioned both client and server IPv6 addresses are in local scope:
> fe80:0:0:0:x:x:x:x/64
>
> I'm also using avahi-daemon with IPv6 enabled and my nsswitch.conf host's
> line is:
>
> hosts: files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] mdns dns
>
> An strace reveals this: RESOLVE-HOSTNAME-IPV4, but not IPV6 apparently.
>
> Any ideas?
> Best regards,
> Ernesto.

Check your /etc/hosts file. You may have an old IPv4 dotted address there.

James
On Friday 05 February 2010 19:40:40 Ernesto Silva wrote:

> I'm also using avahi-daemon with IPv6 enabled and my nsswitch.conf host's
> line is:
>
> hosts: files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] mdns dns

I find myself always changing this line to remove the [NOTFOUND=return], but I
do use dns, not mdns to locate my boxes. Still you might want to try using
mdns instead of mdns_minimal.

HTH,
Kai

--
Kai Blin
WorldForge developer http://www.worldforge.org/
From: Ernesto Silva on
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Ernesto Silva <erniesilva(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I find myself always changing this line to remove the [NOTFOUND=return],
>> but I
>> do use dns, not mdns to locate my boxes. Still you might want to try using
>> mdns instead of mdns_minimal.

Well, I believe I found out that the problem is not in the nsswitch.conf
file, it's inside the getaddrinfo() function. There are some bugs getting in
and out of the code the last months, they are reported at glibc bug tracking
system.
I can't put this into production mode with this kind of bug
catching&loosing, so I'm back to private static IPv4 addresses.

I hope that the glibc maintainers fix the bugs soon an definitely.

Thank you all for the tips.

Best regards,
Ernesto Silva.