From: Nate Edel on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm also trying to buy a corporate copy of Windows 7 soon, so all this
> might be moot soon. I'll have no choice but to reinstall the OS from
> scratch in that case. So I don't really want to reinstall XP from
> scratch now, only to do it again with Win7.

Well, you COULD do a XP/Vista/Win7 upgrade. I don't think it's recommended.

> It's certainly something to try. By comparison, I've had Linux installed
> on this same machine for nearly as long as I've had XP, and it's not
> been reinstalled either.

Linux does much more sensible things about hardware detection and
initialization; for the most part, it's dynamic, and can get moved
between hardware FAR more easily than windows.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |
From: YKhan on
On Jan 28, 4:40 pm, archm...(a)sfchat.org (Nate Edel) wrote:
> Have you run memtest86/memtest86+ or some other memory tester?
>
> --
> Nate Edel                              http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
>  preferred email  |
>  is "nate" at the | "I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity. I'm
>  posting domain   |  for it."

I've run it overnight under the old system, and the new system is
using the same RAM. I don't really have time to run it 24 hours.
From: Trent on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:04:17 -0500 Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in Message id:
<4b61dfb0$1(a)news.bnb-lp.com>:

>Robert Myers wrote:
>> I increasingly think that you have a generic "BSOD after upgrading
>> motherboard without reinstalling Windows" problem.
>
>Sure, but that's the way I've always done things. I find the whole idea
>of Windows behaving differently depending on which method you used to
>install it, somewhat troublesome. Why should a pre-existing installation
>of Windows be unfixable compared to a freshly installed copy? It's the
>same software in both cases.
>
>I've been able to muddle through it in the past, and fix Windows when
>most other people would've just reinstalled it.
>
>I'm also trying to buy a corporate copy of Windows 7 soon, so all this
>might be moot soon. I'll have no choice but to reinstall the OS from
>scratch in that case. So I don't really want to reinstall XP from
>scratch now, only to do it again with Win7.
>
>> One fix that you may or may not have tried is booting into safe mode
>> and forcing a reinstall of device drivers.
>

>It's certainly something to try. By comparison, I've had Linux installed
>on this same machine for nearly as long as I've had XP, and it's not
>been reinstalled either. However, it's behaving much better, it's
>managed to reassign the ethernet to a different IRQ (27). There's also 3
>fewer devices sharing IRQ 18 under Linux than under Windows. Here's the
>"/proc/interrupts" listing from Linux:

Have you tried this?:

Make a .cmd file with the following:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
%windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc

Run the created .cmd file

Go into device manager, select view, "Show hidden devices" and uninstall
all the devices that you believe to be in conflict. Also, uninstall all
the phantom devices - they will be the ones that are grayed out.

Reboot and go into BIOS setup. Under PnP/PCI configurations see if there
is something like "reset configuration data" if there is, set it to
enabled. Save and re-boot. Windows should re-enumerate all the deleted
devices that are still present in the system and (hopefully) correct the
issue.
From: Yousuf Khan on
Trent wrote:
> Have you tried this?:
>
> Make a .cmd file with the following:
> set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
> %windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc
>
> Run the created .cmd file
>
> Go into device manager, select view, "Show hidden devices" and uninstall
> all the devices that you believe to be in conflict. Also, uninstall all
> the phantom devices - they will be the ones that are grayed out.

Thanks, no I hadn't tried that yet, and now that you reminded me, I
remember having seen this years ago, so it was a good idea to try.

However, it didn't help, even after removing all phantom devices, and
even some of the live devices, the live devices just got re-detected and
put right back in their original slots.

> Reboot and go into BIOS setup. Under PnP/PCI configurations see if there
> is something like "reset configuration data" if there is, set it to
> enabled. Save and re-boot. Windows should re-enumerate all the deleted
> devices that are still present in the system and (hopefully) correct the
> issue.

There wasn't anything like that in the BIOS.

Yousuf Khan
From: Nate Edel on
YKhan <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 4:40?pm, archm...(a)sfchat.org (Nate Edel) wrote:
> > Have you run memtest86/memtest86+ or some other memory tester?
>
> I've run it overnight under the old system, and the new system is
> using the same RAM. I don't really have time to run it 24 hours.

So give it a shorter run.