From: Yousuf Khan on
Nate Edel wrote:
> YKhan <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 4:40?pm, archm...(a)sfchat.org (Nate Edel) wrote:
>>> Have you run memtest86/memtest86+ or some other memory tester?
>> I've run it overnight under the old system, and the new system is
>> using the same RAM. I don't really have time to run it 24 hours.
>
> So give it a shorter run.

As I said, it was already given a shorter run under the previous system,
and it's the same RAM that used to be in the old system.

Yousuf Khan
From: Jerry Peters on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nate Edel wrote:
>> YKhan <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've run it overnight under the old system, and the new system is
>>> using the same RAM. I don't really have time to run it 24 hours.
>>
>> So give it a shorter run.
>>

> As I said, it was already given a shorter run under the previous system,
> and it's the same RAM that used to be in the old system.
>
> Yousuf Khan

So what if it's the same ram? It's a different motherboard, right?
That means there could be new problems, from something as simple as a
poor or dirty socket contacts to loading problems with the ram drive
circuitry. The only way to be sure is to actually *test* it.

Jerry
From: Yousuf Khan on
Jerry Peters wrote:
> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> As I said, it was already given a shorter run under the previous system,
>> and it's the same RAM that used to be in the old system.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> So what if it's the same ram? It's a different motherboard, right?
> That means there could be new problems, from something as simple as a
> poor or dirty socket contacts to loading problems with the ram drive
> circuitry. The only way to be sure is to actually *test* it.
>
> Jerry

Well, I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with the RAM at all, the
types of blue screens I'm suffering have a definite pattern to them.
They are afflicting certain families of device drivers, and I've already
determined that they are related by their shared IRQ. If I didn't have
this much evidence for a pattern, then I would try last resort RAM
testing. If I were to bother with RAM testing now, then I'd just be
humouring you and me.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Bob I wrote:
> You are still barking up the wrong tree. You have driver issues, NOT
> "IRQ" problems. Windows only "assigns" IRQ numbers for legacy purposes.

That's the nuttiest explanation I've heard yet. IRQ's are not a "legacy"
item. They are most definitely still used, it's the only way a
peripheral can get the attention of the processor, without needing the
processor to constantly poll it.

Yousuf Khan
From: Bob I on

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Bob I wrote:
>
>> You are still barking up the wrong tree. You have driver issues, NOT
>> "IRQ" problems. Windows only "assigns" IRQ numbers for legacy purposes.
>

> That's the nuttiest explanation I've heard yet. IRQ's are not a "legacy"
> item. They are most definitely still used, it's the only way a
> peripheral can get the attention of the processor, without needing the
> processor to constantly poll it.
>
> Yousuf Khan

A general description of IRQ sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068