From: Twayne on
In news:hoomv7$e6b$1(a)speranza.aioe.org,
LD55ZRA <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> "Big_Al" <BigAl(a)md.com> wrote in message
>
>> I agree, zip and winrar will build archives of a specified
>> size, like 4 gig. Splitting them as it goes. Then you
>> just burn them as files to dvds. I used to do that to
>> floppies. It was really useful there.
>
> Although Zip and Winrar will do exactly what you say, the
> chances of files being corrupted in the process is also
> very high. I have seen many times that files that are
> split using Zip (mainly) failed to unzip when I wanted them
> to. So caution is also required by way of testing these
> files before deleting the source.
> hth

Bull feces; Winzip is a very reliable program, as is the
legacy zip provided with win XP for compression of files. They
will meet or exceed the results of any other program on the
market. If you had trouble with spanned disks, those were your
problems, not the software's. You have to be one of the least
credible posters on the 'net, you know that?

From: Patrick Keenan on

"LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Big_Al" <BigAl(a)md.com> wrote in message
>
>> I agree, zip and winrar will build archives of a specified size, like 4
>> gig. Splitting them as it goes. Then you just burn them as files to
>> dvds. I used to do that to floppies. It was really useful there.
>
> Although Zip and Winrar will do exactly what you say, the chances of files
> being corrupted in the process is also very high. I have seen many times
> that files that are split using Zip (mainly) failed to unzip when I wanted
> them to. So caution is also required by way of testing these files before
> deleting the source.
>
> hth

I've never actually seen this happen.

As to maximum archive size, this is dependent on the Zip utility and the
disk format - FATx format does not support files larger than 4 gig.

From: John Wunderlich on

> I don't think there is anything out there that can create an iso of a
> folder unless you meant "backup".

"IsoRecorder" will make a .iso of a folder.

After installation, simply right-click on a folder and select
"Create ISO Image File"

Freeware.

<http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm>

HTH,