From: David B. on
What ever your reasoning, keep to the on topic groups, you query has nothing
to do with performance/maintenance or setup/deployment.

See if this thread (found via Google) gets you anywhere.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?threadID=313962

From: Tim Meddick on
Forget changing the icon the traditional way - open notepad then choose File > Open
(in the "Files of type" box drop-down list choose "All files") then browse for your
Internet Shortcut to open it in Notepad

You should see something like this :

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.google.co.uk/chrome/eula.html
Modified=00F8E13B3480CA0193
IconIndex=0
IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\Icons\Google2.ico

Manually edit the line "IconFile="
If the icon you choose is a real icon file, then make "IconIndex=0"
If the icon is in a "icon library" (.dll) file then you need to make "IconIndex=" the
icon number within that library.

The "Favourites" icon you chose in your screenshots is :

IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=43

then choose File > Save

If the file STILL will not accept the new icon - you have a problem with your File
Associations for files of type : Internet Shortcut

My advice is to try Doug Knox's File Association Fixes page - the fix for "Internet
Shortcut" files :
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_url_shortcut_fix.zip

Then you should be able to change the icon in the normal way...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <eTuhEXDgKHA.2780(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Tim Meddick
<timmeddick(a)gawab.com> writes:
>Forget changing the icon the traditional way - open notepad then choose
>File > Open (in the "Files of type" box drop-down list choose "All
>files") then browse for your Internet Shortcut to open it in Notepad
>
>You should see something like this :
>

>[InternetShortcut]
>URL=http://www.google.co.uk/chrome/eula.html
>Modified=00F8E13B3480CA0193
>IconIndex=0
>IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\Icons\Google2.ico
>

>Manually edit the line "IconFile="
>If the icon you choose is a real icon file, then make "IconIndex=0"
>If the icon is in a "icon library" (.dll) file then you need to make
>"IconIndex=" the icon number within that library.

Note that (I think) these indexes start from 0, i. e. the first one is
0, the second 1, the third 2 ...

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

Is Jimi Hendrix's modem a Purple Hayes?
From: Tim Meddick on
John,
Can't quite see what your reply actually was.

The only comment I can see in your post was :

"Note that (I think) these indexes start from 0, i. e. the first one is
0, the second 1, the third 2 ..."

I rather thought this would be self-evident as when I quoted that if the file in
question was a [simple] icon file, then the line should read : IconIndex=0 ...(as
[most] icon files contain only 1 icon).

Therefore; if a file containing only 1 icon is specified as IconIndex=0 then, by
implication, in a [.dll] file (icon library) icon 1 is specified as IconIndex=0

However, in addition to specifying the icon number in this way, each icon is given a
numerical "name" which can be different from it's actual numerical "position".

To specify the number is the icon's "name" rather than it's "position", a hyphen is
placed before the icon number.

e.g. The red "No-Entry" icon within [shell32.dll] is the 110th icon,
but because icon #1 is referred to as #0, therefore;

IconIndex=109

However, it also has a numerical "name" which, in this case is;

IconIndex=-338

Specifying either will display the same icon.

*NB Please note the hyphen between the [=] and the icon number.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)