From: Carl Gross on
I have XP Pro (SP3)on an AcerPower FH computer. I recently removed a
proprietary security from Acer because it blocked use of the DVD and slowed
down the machine. After that, All the desktop, start menu and task bar icons
disappeared. The tray icons are still there.

I read that refreshing the IconCache.db would work, but when I looked in
C:\D & C\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data, the file wasn't there. I
have tried all the techniques for refreshing the IconCache.db (change the
resolution, Show Desktop Icons, run explorer from the run menu, etc.)

I am convinved the IconCache.db is the problem. How do I make windows
rebuild the file?
From: Bob I on
see here
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37003.aspx

From: Jose on
On Feb 25, 11:32 am, Carl Gross <CarlGr...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I have XP Pro (SP3)on an AcerPower FH computer.  I recently removed a
> proprietary security from Acer because it blocked use of the DVD and slowed
> down the machine. After that, All the desktop, start menu and task bar icons
> disappeared.  The tray icons are still there.
>
> I read that refreshing the IconCache.db would work, but when I looked in
> C:\D & C\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data, the file wasn't there.  I
> have tried all the techniques for refreshing the IconCache.db (change the
> resolution, Show Desktop Icons, run explorer from the run menu, etc.)
>
> I am convinved the IconCache.db is the problem.  How do I make windows
> rebuild the file?

The file is a hidden file, so when you navigate with Windows Explorer,
you need to click Tools, Folder Options, View and tick Show hidden
files and folders, OK. Now you should see it.

If you want to rebuild it for sure, navigate to yours, delete the
iconcache.db file and reboot. A new one will be created
automatically.

Don't waste time trying to use some other tools to rebuild or "fix"
it, just delete the suspicious one, make a new one and be done with
it.

From: Carl Gross on
Delete IconCache.db? Did that.

From: Jose on
On Feb 25, 12:28 pm, Carl Gross <CarlGr...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Delete IconCache.db?  Did that.
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
> > see here
> >http://www.tweakxp.com/article37003.aspx
>
> > Carl Gross wrote:
> > > I have XP Pro (SP3)on an AcerPower FH computer.  I recently removed a
> > > proprietary security from Acer because it blocked use of the DVD and slowed
> > > down the machine. After that, All the desktop, start menu and task bar icons
> > > disappeared.  The tray icons are still there.
>
> > > I read that refreshing the IconCache.db would work, but when I looked in
> > > C:\D & C\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data, the file wasn't there.  I
> > > have tried all the techniques for refreshing the IconCache.db (change the
> > > resolution, Show Desktop Icons, run explorer from the run menu, etc.)
>
> > > I am convinved the IconCache.db is the problem.  How do I make windows
> > > rebuild the file?
>
> > .

You said you were convinced the iconcache.db is the problem, that you
couldn't find it and you tried all the techniques for refreshing the
iconcache.db and then wanted to know how to make Windows rebuild the
file.

Now you should have a new iconcache.db file. I know I do.

Perhaps your issue is not the iconcache.db file?