From: ClueLess on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 02:42:41 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
<waiting(a)the.exit.invalid> wrote:

>> http://www.brothersoft.com/ezdesk-7419.html).
>
>Tried it, it sucks.

Try icon_restore.exe

http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/desktop/icon_restore.exe

It presents a right-click menu option on My Computer and Recycle bin
shortcuts to save and restore the icons on the Desktop. Very good.

--

HTH
ClueLess
From: thanatoid on
ClueLess <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote in

> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 02:42:41 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
> <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> http://www.brothersoft.com/ezdesk-7419.html).
>>
>>Tried it, it sucks.
>
> Try icon_restore.exe
>
> http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/desktop/icon_
> restore.exe
>
> It presents a right-click menu option on My Computer and
> Recycle bin shortcuts to save and restore the icons on the
> Desktop. Very good.

I've tried them all! They are all dysfunctional, have stupid
bloat, useless features, or are just too damn big or mess with
the system!

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the PC utility whose name
escapes me at the moment!
Iconsaver rules OK!

OK?

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.
From: Tim Meddick on
I think the best (and cheapest) way, is to re-name your desktop icons, preceding each
name with a number - i.e. :

rename "My Computer" to "1 My Computer"
rename "My Documents" to "2 My Documents"
rename "CD Drive (D)" to "3 CD Drive (D)"
rename "Internet Explorer" to "4 Internet Explorer"
rename "Adobe Reader 9" to "5 Adobe Reader 9"

....so that the first icon on the screen corresponds to renaming it with a preceding
"1", the second with "2", etc.

Then, when they become "unstuck", as they so often do (hence all the apps to set
things straight), all you have to do is right-click on desktop > Arrange Icons By >
Name ...to get them back in the desired order!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: thanatoid on
"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote in

> You could also be creative with renaming your desktop icons
> with *names* that begin with letters that perform the same
> result as using the numbered solution...

Nah... Too old and too lazy and too stupid. Besides, I have been
using IconSaver for years so it is not an issue any more. Sure
as hell used to be!

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.