From: fred on
Is the some way to place an Icon on the desktop & have it stay at the position?
Perhaps , put Icons in groups, (games) , (web search), (photoshops), etc?
As it is, the icons display in haphazard order & never, over time, Stay put.

Thanks
--
fred
From: Twayne on
In news:C8323F1B-25E8-42A4-BB5C-DAC9FA52B072(a)microsoft.com,
fred <fred(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Is the some way to place an Icon on the desktop & have it stay at the
> position? Perhaps , put Icons in groups, (games) , (web search),
> (photoshops), etc?
> As it is, the icons display in haphazard order & never, over time,
> Stay put.
>
> Thanks

Right click on the desktop, choose Arrange Icons By and be sure that
Auto-Arrange and Align to Grid are un-ticked. They should stay put.

HTH,

Twayne

From: Leonard Grey on
There's nothing in Windows XP that can guarantee that a given icon will
stay in one place forever. There may be third-party software that can do
this, however. A web search will let you know.

You can prevent Windows XP from aligning icons along a grid; right-click
on the desktop, select Align Icons By > remove the check mark from Align
to Grid.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: thanatoid on
=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZA==?= <fred(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in news:C8323F1B-25E8-42A4-BB5C-DAC9FA52B072(a)microsoft.com:

> Is the some way to place an Icon on the desktop & have it
> stay at the position? Perhaps , put Icons in groups,
> (games) , (web search), (photoshops), etc? As it is, the
> icons display in haphazard order & never, over time, Stay
> put.
>
> Thanks

This is one of the many joys of using MS software.
There are several utilities, only one does what it's supposed
without driving you crazy with bloat and unnecessary features.

www.iconsaver.com

The old version was free. I can post it to a file-sharing site
if you are too cheap to pay $5 for the new version to get rid of
one of the biggest PITA's (and it's a BIG list) of Windows.

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.
From: Twayne on
In news:uRE4t%234oKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Leonard Grey <l.grey(a)invalid.invalid> typed:
> There's nothing in Windows XP that can guarantee that a given icon
> will stay in one place forever. There may be third-party software
> that can do this, however. A web search will let you know.
>
> You can prevent Windows XP from aligning icons along a grid;
> right-click on the desktop, select Align Icons By > remove the check
> mark from Align to Grid.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> fred wrote:
>> Is the some way to place an Icon on the desktop & have it stay at
>> the position? Perhaps , put Icons in groups, (games) , (web search),
>> (photoshops), etc? As it is, the icons display in haphazard order &
>> never, over time,
>> Stay put. Thanks

Unticking auto-arrange and align icons to grid are two ways to come very
close. Unless you change some desktop property like resolution etc., they
will stay put.

HTH,

Twayne

 |  Next  |  Last